New 13" MBP doesn't recognize USB anything

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by durty, Aug 2, 2009.

1. durty macrumors newbie

My friend and I both purchased 2.53 ghz 13" MBPs in the past week for school. Mine is perfect but her's is not recognizing any USB inputs. I haven't seen it yet, I will tomorrow, my question is what should I look for? I'm well versed with macs this is my 3rd, but it's her first so I want to help her out fast. Does this sound like anything you've experienced? If so how was it remedied?
    -durty

just to reiterate I won't have any further details until tomorrow, but suggestions for what to look for would be nice.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Try a PRAM reset. That's cmd+option+P+R. Hold before the gray screen appears and until you hear a second startup noise.

If that doesn't work, take it to the Apple store.

3. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Before you take it in, try re-installing the OS (archive & install), make sure you use the discs that came with the new MBP.

4. maladroit macrumors member

I had a similar issue. The only thing different was that on boot my computer would say that a device was drawing too much power and that it had disabled the ports (even with nothing plugged in).

I too, reset the PRAM and SMC, no luck.

I took it back to the genius bar where the guy checked the ports with a thumb drive and seemed to look up USB problems on his database of known issues and just exchanged it, no questions asked.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

That won't do anything. The problem is hardware related.

You'll want to backup the data, though, in case you get it exchanged.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If it gets the "USB devices... too much power..." message at startup, the computer needs a new logic board. This message shows when there is a short somewhere along the line between the computer and the USB device. Normally, a cable or USB device is at fault, but when this message comes when nothing is plugged in, it is the computer.

7. durty thread starter macrumors newbie

as the story turns out it was a mac noob mistake. Her ipod was still formatted from her PC so it wasn't being recognized and she didn't have the proper driver for her printer...

as is usually the case, apple wins. She loves her new MBP and is a mac now.
    -durty

8. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a