New 13" MBP or Refurb 15" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kramjam, Jun 19, 2009.

1. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

Hey,

After some thoughts, I decided that I no longer want to purchase the new high-end MBP 15/17", and decided on getting the new 13".

After a quick browse through the Refurbished products list, I saw that a pre WWDC 15" MBP is only $1449. It has the graphics card I sought, in the previous high end models, because I plan on doing some gaming now and then, and the extra resolution is greatly appreciated.

Should I throw in a little extra for the extra performance I really wanted? The only thing that comes to mind I miss out from compared to buying the new MBP 13" is an improved screen, and a bit longer battery?

I'm not sure what to do. Either way, I plan on selling whatever choice I make in 2010 for a new 15" Macbook Pro with hopefully the new Intel Processors and waiting for Apple to replace the 9600m. So what would have better resale value?

Thanks so much in advance

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get the refurb 15". It has better resale value and specs. You'll only lose better battery (refurb you have replaceable) and SD card slot (express slot is better)

3. kramjam thread starter macrumors 6502

kramjam

yeah, the SD card slot is nothing to me honestly, and the ExpressCard can really come handy.

Is there a noticeable difference between the new Macbook Pro improved screens and the old 15 inch?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think they're quite same. 13" got much better screen due update but I haven't heard that 15" did. If you can, go to nearest Apple Store or reseller and compare the screens

5. kramjam thread starter macrumors 6502

kramjam

And I can throw in a 7200rpm 500GB HD in there?

6. 7seven7 macrumors newbie

Get the fifteen. If you want SD, get an expresscard reader, if you want better battery life, get yourself a second battery :D:D

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course you can. Also, if you have money and you want it to be super fast, get 32GB SSD (or bigger if you can afford) and use it as your boot and application HD and store all your data to external FW800 HD

8. kramjam thread starter macrumors 6502

kramjam

Oh my gosh, thanks for all the speedy advice. This machine should be sick for a long time til I upgrade in 2010! So glad I'll be getting the 15" I always wanted!

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You're welcome, mate. That's very nice computer, you'll love it! Also think about getting a external monitor if you want more space to work on

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

11. kramjam thread starter macrumors 6502

kramjam

Yeah, I've been using Macs for a few years, and love them with the little time I spend with them. I've been holding out for a long long time to finally buy a machine worth the price, and this seems to be it!

@Hellhammer: I have a 24" wide screen monitor to use for an external display when using it on the desk, so that's really sweet too.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My advice would also be to get the 15" MBP; it's a great computer, and is more powerful and has better performance than the 13", not to mention better battery and that excellent screen. I have one and it is easily the best computer I have ever owned.

Cheers and good luck

13. OttoG macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm pretty much in the same tight spot. I'm about to head back to school and I need a laptop. I'm looking at getting the new 13"/15" MBP with the 2.53ghz. And today I found a slightly older MBP 15" with 2.4ghz but with the dual GPUs.

I do play games, via bootcamp, like CYRSIS, FAR CRY 2etc...And also do a lot of 3D CAD work like 3ds Max, INVENTOR and ProE., But I also work heaps with Photoshop and Illustrator in the OSX environment.

I already have the 3,06ghz 8800Gs iMac and I know the MBP won't keep up with it.

The "older" one is only a $100 more. Which models of the mentioned would be the best buy for my duties? ......... duties :) lol

Many thanks

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely get old model if you want to play games on it but if you want free iPod, get new model.

15. OttoG macrumors newbie

The old model it is yes yes. Im getting my dads iPhone 3G :) so no need for an extra iPod

Thx guys