New 13" MBP or refurbished MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by p1ngputts, May 5, 2011.

1. p1ngputts macrumors member

like the title says... I'm definitely going 13" MacBook Pro, just don't know if the current model is better/worse than last models. I don't care about any future model, just want to know what people think about this model and the last model that is found in the refurb section on apple's site. Would like to order within the next few days. Price isn't an option.

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Definitely the 2011 model. It is much faster than the 2010 model, especially when it comes to the 13". There is no dedicated video card, but if you want to play games you should go with a 15" anyway. Also, you get the Thunderbolt port.

3. p1ngputts thread starter macrumors member

There won't be any games on this laptop. My main concern is that I want to be able to watching streaming sports with no problem. I live in Michigan and they don't televise any PA sports. When I was watching the Masters on my laptop, it was buffering every other minute. Total PITA.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Microcenter has the 2011 13" i5 model on sale for $999 plus tax. You can't beat that deal (assuming you have a Microcenter nearby).

5. Maddix macrumors member

The integrated graphics are much better on my 2011 13" MBP vs my ThinkPad i3 with Intel HD when it comes to streaming video.

6. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

There's no issues when you stream video. As long as you have a good internet connection and a good router if you're going wireless you won't have any problems.

7. gpat macrumors 6502a

Get 2011. 2010 was underpowered even by last year's standard.

8. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

+1

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Buffering when watching streaming video is the connection speed, not the specs of your laptop.

10. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

Almost tempted buy the 2011 13" and give the old one to my kids. :D

11. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If as you said price isn't an option get the new 13" MBP.

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I agree. OP, your current computer could play those sports videos just fine. But for one reason or another your connection isn't fast enough to keep up. I suggest moving closer to the router or connecting an ethernet cable if you're on Wifi. If that doesn't work, get faster internet service. Your computer isn't the bottleneck here.