New 13" MBP perfect solution to *Power and Portability*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jun 8, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

"THE" solution to *Power and Portability* ??? Good move by Apple, eh?

It will attract 15" Pro buyers who wanted power in a smaller sizer, and it will attract MBA buyers who wanted more power in a reasonably small size.

Could the new 13" MBP be the "sweet spot" .. the "ideal" main machine for most users. I don't see why not, especially if you pair it with a 24/30" ACD!

They'll sell MANY no doubt about that!

Damn, now I want one, LOL ...

....hey anyone interested in the 15" MBP and a revB MBA in my signature :)

2. powersurge macrumors member

Last I saw the "new 13 inch macbook pro" is almost exactly the same machine as the "old" unibody macbook. Until you can buy the 13 inch model with a dedicated GPU its not really a "Pro" machine.

Though to be honest I really hate the "pro" label in general. I wish they would do away with it and just call them Macbooks with different specs. I didn't need my Macbook Pro for work. Actually I bought it because of the GPU for gaming. I needed to replace my old compaq laptop and I hadn't tried a mac in a very long time and on top of that at the time the Macbook Pro was the lightest weight laptop that also included a mid range GPU that I could find.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

This is all known. Many people loved the 12 powerbook and have been waiting for this. It's not really a new solution, it's bringing back an older model (+1 inch)

4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Yes, people loved the 12" Powerbook ... with the new 13" MBP become just as popular do you think?

5. taphil macrumors regular

As stated above, the 13" MBP differs from the 13" MB only by a speed bump, Firewire 800, and a SD slot. Not much change.

"Pro" features would include dedicated graphics, a matte option, higher resolution (1440x900) LCD, and ExpressCard slot.

6. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Most consumers interested in buying a laptop will likely not notice the difference between the 13" Unibody Macbook and the "new" 13" Macbook Pro.

If there was going to be an influx of sales due to being the "perfect solution", there would have been when the Unibody Macbook was introduced. The "minor" upgrades are negligable to the average consumer, and the $100 price different likely wouldn't make/break the sale

7. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

The screen quality on the new 13" is also meant to be significantly better then the previous iteration. However, I would like a higher res option.

8. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Not sure it's really comparable in specs.

As was said, the 13" MBP is actually quite a bit larger than the 12" PowerBook. Sure, the 12" PB was thicker, but the footprint is very petite compared to the not-so-small 13" MBP.

The 12" PB has an extra analog microphone port and a modem port. And can drive composite video.
    Instead the 13" MBP has an SD card slot. And updated Firewire and new video-out port that doesn't do any composite video.

And the 13" MBP lacks a dedicated GPU. Although its shared memory allows for 256MB of reserved video RAM and is likely just as fast as the 12" PB's Nvidia GPU is. Yet who wants 5 year old GPU power today...
    Yet the max of 8GB total RAM is quite a bonus compared to the 1.25GB in the 12".
    And its battery life is surely also at least 50% longer.

They're not really equal but the new 13" MBP is quite honestly the best value for money and power for size Apple had in any PowerBook or MacBook Pro in a long time. If ever. And that surely will make it a huge success.

9. lyl macrumors member

10. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

I have a 13" Unibody Macbook. I just purchased a 17" MBP. I loved the size of the 13", since at work I use a 24" LED Cinema Display and I use the 30" cinema display at home, but ...

Macbook with 9400m powering the 30" ACD is not the smoothest of rides. 256MB of main memory is used by video card, which I find myself using virtual memory while using Lightroom and Photoshop, which never really happened to me before with my workflow on a previous generation MBP. My guess is they are not related, but I haven't changed much else of anything besides going to macbook from macbook pro, so i don't know what to think.

Apple went a little less than halfway, the FW800 was an awesome addition. But I would have liked to see a dedicated GPU, and not necessarily the 9600GT, just a dedicated video with more power than the 9400m. and the 13" would be nice with 1440x900 display option, and the 15" with a 1680x1050 display option.

11. Seshan macrumors newbie

Apple's marketing with the renaming of the MB was genius, People think it's faster because it has the MBP name. It's the same as the last MB with a slight CPU speed bumps.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Uh... no. There is a big difference between a 12" screen and a 13" screen.