new 13" MBP Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msregister, Sep 13, 2009.

1. msregister macrumors member

i have a unibody mb that has the 9c89 screen which i find very nice and bright.

last week i bought for my wife the new 13' mbp expecting a better quality screen. however i find that the new mbp screen is not as bright on the highest setting as in my unibody mb. the new 13' mbp screen is 9cc2 and has snow leopard installed.

the colors are very nice and perhaps a tad better then the unibody mb, but the lower brightness bothers me, since i enjoy a very bright screen. also when i compare the background i find the whites are a bit creamier white in the new mbp.

is there something wrong with the 9cc2 screen in the new mbp?

2. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I bought a MBP yesterday with the 9CC2, and I actually find the screen too bright for my eyes. I have it turned down to about 70% to be comfortable.

3. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

It'll probably be Snow Leopard's default gamma.

If you're running Leopard on your MB, go to System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate and change the Target Gamma to 2.2. Then compare the displays.

4. msregister thread starter macrumors member

thanks, but both macbooks rund on snow leopard and the 08 unibody is still brighter then the 13' macbook pro.

could it be that the 08 unibody is has a brighter display than the new macbook pro?

5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have a MacBook Pro with the 9cc2 screen. In 10.5 the screen was some what less bright than my 15" Macbook Pro late 2008. After Snow Leopard it is much brighter than my 15". I find it surprising that the MacBook could be brighter.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The 13"MBP's screen is very bright, I have that one. Maybe you should do some comparisons in terms of watching a DVD or testing contrast levels or viewing angles. The 9C89 MB screen is extremely washed out compared to the 13"MBP. There's no comparison between the two. The color, contrast, brightness and viewing angles on the MBP seriously trump the MB. If the screen is THAT much darker you should get it exchanged.

7. msregister thread starter macrumors member

attached are a few pictures the macbook on the left is the new mbp, on the right the 08 unibody mb. please let me know if i have an issue with the brightness. the color saturation is sure better on the new mbp, my question is what is going on with the brightness?

thanks.

Attached Files:

8. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I noticed too. My old unibody is much brighter, more washed out. I never used it on full bright, and the new 13 mbp almost isn't bright enough on maximum. I went to apple store to check display models and they are the same at the 2 stores I checked. all seem dimmer than my unibody 13.

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

The unibody 13" Macbooks had terrible displays in general. What you perceive as brighter might be just the washed out colors they have compared to the 13" MBPs. I don't have the 9C22 display but 9CA0 and it has certainly proved bright enough in regular lighting as well as in the dark.

Many monitors these days are so overbright that you need to turn the brightness almost to zero to avoid burning your retinas.

10. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

The MacBook on the left's screen is far better than the one on the right. What you're seeing as a 'lack of brightness' is actually the increased dynamic range of the new screen. Darker blacks, richer colours.