New 13" MBP, Superdrive is very loud/buzzy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tigress666, Jun 9, 2010.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, I'm just checking to make sure it's normal.

But my new MBP (13" base model, no upgrades to it) has a very loud (in my opinion) CD/DVD drive. And kinda buzzy. Just askign cause I'm pretty sure my old mid 2007 13" macbook (which does not have the super drive but the one before it that did not write to DVDs but did everything else)'s CD drive was not as buzzy or loud.

I mean it's a constant buzz (nothing like a rattle) like it's just a really powerful motor, not like it's a breaking motor. But just want to make sure that it's normal for it to be loud.

2. ramzhh macrumors regular

Is it buzzy when there's a disk inside or do you mean always? Either way you are due to a replacement.

3. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Only when it's spinning a disk inside (it is quite long as it is not reading a CD). I mean it doesn't sound bad or like something is wrong, just it is louder than my old macbook so I didn't know if that is normal.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It shouldn't be any louder. I had an iMac that had a noisy optical drive and I had the drive replaced under warranty. I would also describe the drive that was replaced as "buzzy" or harsh.