Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dale Cooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Hi,
got my new MBP today - but it's been a disaster so far:

1) install new momentus xt HD
2) tried to clone old hd (in external display) to new hd, but the cloned disk was not bootable
3) tried to install OS X fra restore DVD - failed after a couple of minutes
4) tried to install fra retail Snow Leopard disk - Kernel panick before the installation screen comes up

I assumed there was some problem with the new disk, so I reinstall the original drive..

5) tried to install OS X fra restore DVD - failed after a couple of minutes
6) tried to install fra retail Snow Leopard disk - Kernel panick before the installation screen comes up
7) tried to install OS X TO a USB-drive - failed after a couple of minutes
8) tried to install OS X FROM a USB-drive - kernel panick.
9) tried the diagnostic test - found no errors
10) tried my bootable tech tools pro disk - kernel panick

Summary:
- installing OS X from restore DVD fails
- booting from anything but the restore DVD causes kernel panicks.

Any suggestions on what I can do (except return the machine)? Thanks!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Did you format the drive under Mac OS X Extended Journaled before you attempted to install the OS?

Dale Cooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Did you format the drive under Mac OS X Extended Journaled before you attempted to install the OS?

Yes, the drive(s) have been formattet to Extended Journaled.

Edit:
I've (once again) tried to install from the restore DVD, and this time I checked the error log:

reading from /System/Installation/Packages/JavaTools.pkg: Input/Outpuit error
error processing data: Input/output error
[repeat x 5]
Failed ot download package from file://localhost/System/Installation/Packages/JavaTools.pkg and no alternate source.
Install failed: [...]

So it may seem like there is a problem reading the install disk - but that doesn't explain why any other bootable media causes kernal panics...

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Does the original HD still have a bootable OS on it? Will the MBP boot it? If yes to those questions, put the new HD in the external case, partition & format it, and then clone the internal to the external, swap the drives and you should be good to go.

Dale Cooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Unfortunately, I formatted the original drive while I was (trying) to install OS X on the new drive... Looks like I have to go back to the store tomorrrow:mad:

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Have you checked to see if the connector on the HD as well as the optical drive are firmly connected? How about the RAM, did you do anything with it during this upgrade?

Dale Cooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
No, I didn't touch the RAM initially, and I've checked all the connectors. I've also tried to remove one of the RAM-modules to check if it could have been corrupted, but that didn't help either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.