New 13" MBP with Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rasmusDoh, Jul 27, 2012.

1. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Hey

I'm gonna replace my 2010 13" MBP with the updated one (not gonna wait for Retina as i can't afford that anyway). Most likely the i5 version.
    Already have 8 GB of memory i can put into it.

As for storage i have a 500 GB Momentus XT in this one. I wanna transfer that to the new one, but i've been thinking about replacing the superdrive too, so i can fit a SSD too.

I was thinking that it would be more optimal though to put a SSD with OS on in the normal slot and my Momentus XT in the optical drive slot. How does that sound?

Have a pretty tight budget, so a 175$ SSD is max. What SSD within this price range would you recommend? Something like Intel 330 120 GB? Or OCZ Agility 3 120 GB.. Don't really know much about it!

Also which Optibay would you recommend, and does it work problem free?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I could be wrong but I think if you put the sudden motion sensor may not work with drives in the optical bay, and/or have issues with the sleep and the hard drive as well.

I'd put the SSD in the optibay and keep the hard drive where its at.

3. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, but can i still have the OS on the SSD (in the Optibay) and have it start up from this?

Otherwise it kinda kills the purpose of a SSD, doesn't it?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, drive placement has no bearing on where the drive is physically installed.

I had two OS's on my 13"MBP, one on the drive in the optibay cage and the other in the regular drive bay.

5. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, sounds good!

Which optibay did you buy?

And do you have any recommendations for a SSD?

6. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

7. rlantagne21 macrumors newbie

I've heard a lot of good things about the mcetech optibay drive. Read a lot of positive things about it. I would definitely suggest what one of the previous posters mentioned about placement of the drive (keeping the HDD in original bay and the SSD in the optibay).

...As far as the SSD goes, the Samsung SSD's have been a tried and true reliable solution for Macs, especially since they released the 6gbps 830 series. You can pick up a 128gb for around $100.

8. xp0z3d macrumors regular

I am newbie so bear that in mind. But from what I have read and what I think I will get for optibay is http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody...TF8&colid=2GPKGKYTM5NBT&coliid=I2PM8RD0BEX7IY Its cheaper and so far from what I have read reviews and saw install videos most of people are pleased with it.

I read some places that no need to go with expensive Optibays. Another thing abt SSD last night I ordered Samsung 830 128gb for $84.99 from NewEgg. From reading here on forum and Internet general I understood that Samsung , Crucial M4 are good and reliable ones. I was confused between both but got Samsung because of price. Check if deal is still on if not would recommend wait few days and keep an eye open for deals. And get whatever is going for cheaper.

Regarding setup I asked same question abt placement of drives but so far nothing substantial as answer.

9. MacMojo1 macrumors member