New 13 non retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by minneola24, Oct 3, 2012.

1. minneola24 macrumors member

Hi.

I'm a graphic designer and photographer and need photoshop to run on a 13" mbp. The air is too small and the pro isn't much more expensive.

My only problem Is that the MacBook Pro has a terrible resolution. The retina MacBook Pro will be too expensive at 13 inches.

Any ideas what I should do? They just release a new line of 13 mbp but the resolution doesn't cut it. Retina is too high of a resolution for price if the 13 is released.

Thanks

2. fleawannabe macrumors regular

Get the MBP 13" and a good external monitor or get a MBP 15" non retina.

3. Fed macrumors 6502

'Terrible resolution' - why? I would have assumed proper designers would have a studio with at least one external monitor rather than just working on a laptop screen?

Just buy it. Upgradeability, mobile and weighs next to nothing.

4. J.Appleseed macrumors regular

J.Appleseed

Indeed. I have a 13" myself and I just hook it up to a 23" external monitor at home. If you're on the way, the 13" screen size is just fine.

5. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

the air is too small? how can it be too small, it's not gonna crack in your bag if thats the problem... it has higher resolution, it's light..and has more or less the same specs as the 13".

But yeah.. get an external screen.

6. minneola24 thread starter macrumors member

I have dual 23 IPS monitors.

The 13 would be used when on the go which is frequent. The resolution IS terrible on the 13 pro!

Not sure why a cheaper non pro smaller model has higher res than a "pro" model.

7. HuskyMac macrumors newbie

I have a base model 2012 13 inch MBP and it's a solid computer. CS6 runs flawlessly. Screen looks great, I have no complaints. If the resolution is "horrible" then save your money and purchase the rMBP. But this computer is solid as is.

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

basically all you're complaining about is that you don't have enough money to buy the machine you apparently need. solution: get a job and make more money.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

"Pro" is nothing more than a marketing term for Apple. The 13" was originally launched as the "Aluminium MacBook" Apple clearly renamed it to tidy up their lineup, nothing more, nothing less. A professional level system is first and foremost dictated by use, and then specification, in your case you need a 15" higher the resolution the better. As cost is an issue look for a lightly used 15" Unibody with a high res display, the 13" is a base system, Air an Ultraportable, 15" Unibody & Retina for heavy lifting & graphical work...

Buying a 13" MBP is pointless as the resolution will only be a hindrance to your work when on the move, especially if you spend significant time on the go. The colour gamut of the Air is too limiting, combined with narrow viewing angles. If you want a Mac the logical choice is a 15" MBP.

10. tracid macrumors member

I agree with this guy, respectively :cool:

I'm a student in a web design program and I have to deal with a lot of graphics. My friend recently let me use his 13" MBP and resolution seemed fine for quick edits. Plug into an external monitor and you're good to go. I ended up purchasing a 13" MBP for myself (coming tomorrow, woot!). And I would avoid MBA because the color gamut is lower than a MBP, though it has a higher resolution. I prefer to show the right colors to a client than a higher resolution on my laptop, but that's me.