New 13 or old 15?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supermac1, Jun 27, 2009.

1. supermac1 macrumors regular

2. redking31591 macrumors 6502

the main thing you need to ask your self is do you want the better battery life but have the battery integrated or do you want lower battery life but a user replaceable battery. Also the 15in has the dedicated graphics card and the intergrated while the macbook has only the integrated. Also to 15in will have better speakers and a larger screen and the express card slot that can funtion as an sd card reader and much more. So really it comes down to how much do you want to lug around. I personally think the older 15in is a better deal.

edit- the battery life isn't that bad on the older 15 in. remember you can always get a second battery later on if you want. it's about 5 hours on the integrated graphics and 4 on the dedicated graphics. The macbook it about 2 hours more for each card.

3. supermac1 thread starter macrumors regular

They kind of equal out for me. I don't care about the replaceable battery, but I love the longer battery life. I love the extra power. I love the portability. It's tough, because all factors considered, they are very close in price/value in my opinion so it's hard to chose.

Do you guys think that the 15 could handle crysis on medium?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Take the 15". It's the better deal. Forget the battery. I'd rather have a machine that can run Crysis on medium than a machine that can browse the internet for 7+ hours.

5. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

I second that!

I'll take a 15in laptop with discreet graphics than the new MBP 13in.

I plan on buying the same model too at my local Mac Reseller for $1349 new.

6. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

The 13" is soooo cute though! Doesn't that count for anything these days?!?!?

7. supermac1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it does. One of the reasons this thread is here.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The 2.53, unlike the newer models, only takes 4 gigs of ram officially and 6 gigs unofficially.

That's probably not going to make much of a difference now, when 8 gigs are almost a mortgage or student loan payment. But if you're still going to be using it in a year or two, prices will go down, and the need for it will increase.

The difference between the integrated and replaceable battery is a toss up, and depends on your needs. Some people will prefer to have a second battery, others the non replaceable.

If you can get a early 2008 2.66 mhz mpb for a good discount, that would be the best of both worlds.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd recommend the 15" - it is still a better computer with a better screen than the - admittedly impressive 13"; do you want longer battery and greater portability? Then, choose the 13". If, however, your needs call for a better swcreen and a more powerful computer, opt for the 15". Your call, but to my mind, the 15" is still the better model.

Cheers and good luck

10. supermac1 thread starter macrumors regular

I just got the 15! I can't wait for it to arrive, I'm so excited!

11. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Enjoy your purchase, you made a wise choice going for the 15", its a better deal at that price.