Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mothergoose45

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
I use currently a 13" Dell xps for doing all my illustrator stuff for work. It's 3 years old. My question is will a new 13" MacBook pro do well with adobe cs4 or do I have to step up to the 15" with dicrete graphics? I like the 13" size but don't know if it will have enough power.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I use currently a 13" Dell xps for doing all my illustrator stuff for work. It's 3 years old. My question is will a new 13" MacBook pro do well with adobe cs4 or do I have to step up to the 15" with dicrete graphics? I like the 13" size but don't know if it will have enough power.

Yeah it will have more than enough power:D

DMBGuru

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I have a late 2006 white 13" macbook with a 2.0 C2D, 2GB DDR2 ram, 80GB 5400rpm and a GMA950. It's been thoroughly put through its paces the past 3.5 years and has gotten me through the entirety of my undergraduate career.

In that time I've used Adobe CS3 extensively, both photoshop and illustrator. Even on battery power and with very, very large files open in PS I was able to multitask with safari, pages, itunes, and photoshop and have 1.5-2 hrs of battery life. Oh, and btw, the performance of photoshop in this situation was still quite acceptable; I was able to apply large filters to 40-50 layer, 8.5x11 images within ~20 seconds.

And this is on a computer that is significantly less capable than the 13" MBP available now.

The combination of improved processor architecture/speed, DDR3 ram, larger hard drives, VASTLY superior graphics chips, and the sexy, LED backlit screen/aluminum body puts the 13MBP leagues ahead of what I have and will definitely be capable of running CS4.

Needless to say, I'll be getting a new, base model 13" MBP imminently.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
My old MacBook Pro was pretty equivalent to the low end 13" MBP.
Core2Duo 2.20GHz and nvidia 8600m GT, 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD.

I still only have CS3, but it did perform very well and I'm always using two screens while using Photoshop (which I use 97% of my time spent with CS3, I use Indesign and Illustrator to a much lesser degree, so my comments are strictly related to PS.)

On the other hand, the i5 15" MBP is noticeably faster, everything feels a bit more snappy.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Another question, has anyone tried to do any video editing with Premier Pro CS5 on the 13"-15"?

I have a 9400m Mac Mini with only 2GB ram and it is barely up to par for editing h.264 encoded video at 1080p. I'm thinking the 15" should be able to handle it with he upgrade to an i5 plus the discrete nVidia card which should be using hardware acceleration for the Mercury engine.

Just wondering if anyone with a new 13" or 15" has tried Premier and what they think...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.