New 13" Retina MBP - How to force 2560x1600?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flybye, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Flybye macrumors regular

Hi all,

Is there a way to force 2560x1600 to my screen? Or anything else in between like 2304x1440, etc?

2. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Set the resolution for your primary display
    1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Displays, then click Display.

2. Select Scaled, then select one of the scaled resolution options.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes switch res X will allow you to use it at full resolution, it'll be too tiny to read but sure go ahead.

As above you can use a multitude of scaled resolutions 1050 is probably your best compromise between screen real estate and being able to use it.

4. Flybye thread starter macrumors regular

1680x1050 is the best option I have available.

Text size is not a concern to me since I need the additional real estate space for an editor. Besides, I can always increase text size for websites in the browser if need be.

5. Swiss-G, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015

Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Press and hold the Option key when clicking the scaled button to show more display resolutions.

If you don't find a suitable option then there are 3rd party apps that will force the display to run at its native resolution. As noted above the text will be virtually unreadable.

6. Flybye thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...I came across another site also mentioning the option button, but the only option I really get is this little button that appears that says Detect Displays. Maybe that only works with 10.10? I upgraded to 10.11 and am not seeing the option for different resolutions.

Why is Apple making it so impossible to set the resolution that you want?

7. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Because Apple knows best.....;)

8. Flybye thread starter macrumors regular

Hahahaha!

I can see how numbers can be confusing to the commoners.
    "Oh noes. So many numbers. Whatz do I doz!"

"Oh look. Lets just pick the button that says more space."

Kinda sad really. Leaves us semi-power users wondering about just how numbed down things will eventually get.

9. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

There are a few 3rd party try before you buy options which is probably your best bet. This article may help you choose one.

10. Flybye thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, before I read your reply I installed this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/vi9yf/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to/

And its working great! I am at 2560x1600! But thank you for your suggestion as well. =) My sympathies to those without razor sharp eyes that are not able to take advantage of it. Ive been on 2304x1440 on PCs since the early 2000s, and I really can not see why someone would NOT want to take advantage of more real estate on their screen. It makes it SOO much easier to work on programs such as Unity 3D, Photoshop, etc.

I guess I will be making a call to Apple about this dumb numbess they have created as I find it rather silly not to be able to natively change to the resolution your screen supports.

11. 3568358 macrumors 6502

because why would anyone want to change the resolution LOL

12. tmt macrumors member

tmt

Great info! I'm looking into a rMBP 13 and found only really lousy resolution options. Will check the trick with the optionbutton at the store. Why the hell have all those pixels if you can't even have 1920x1080p?

13. Flybye thread starter macrumors regular

The tool I posted has worked great for me! I havent bothered to try to see about having it autoload after a reboot, but that is trivial.

I even taught the gf how to use it so she doesnt always bug me about the screen being "too small." :D

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

you can have a 1050p under apples own scaling options and switchres X is an app that allows you to scale the machine as you wish.