New 13" rMBP choking on scaled resolutions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckeck, Oct 26, 2013.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Been trying to decide if I want to switch to a new 13/15 Retina from my Air and I love the size/feel of the 13 rMBP but I'm not going to work in 1280x800. No problem, I just switched it up to both of the scaled resolutions to test. Desktop looks great and just the right size in either one really.

No lag issues with the apps that I can tell (yet) but I did notice when the screensaver kicks on the machine chokes. Using Arabesque for example, it's like it's rendering at 2-3 fps and when I go to type in my password the whole machine is dragging. Takes about 1 second per character to get recognized.

Anyone else running a scaled resolution that has seen this?

2. pixelatedcoffee macrumors newbie

Ha. Just posted a few mins before your thread asking about this.

3. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Since installing Mavericks on my 2012 15" rmbp, the UI animations have become incredibly laggy.

Try this as a test:

- Open Safari and play any YouTube video in default size
    - Open Chrome and play any Youtube video in default size

Give each browser its own desktop. Then start playing around with the Mission Control gestures (4 fingers forward, 4 fingers backwards, swiping, etc.).

I can count at least 3 stutters each time I try any gesture in scaled mode. Setting discrete graphics helps, but doesn't entirely resolve it.

4. diogoh macrumors newbie

Noticed the same thing yesterday when I tested different resolutions on my friends 2012 rMBP 15". Mavericks seems very laggy. Definitely a problem with the new OS. Even on retina resolution it stutters. Apple needs to address this quickly.

5. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

It should be worth noting that the 15 rMBP I picked up to test is NOT exhibiting the same symptoms when the screen is scaled.

I would hope it's simply software related with Mavericks but something with the GPU could be a problem as well. That or Iris Pro is just pushing through it even if it's just Mavericks not being fully optimized. Who the hell missed this in QA? Damn.

6. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I take that back, the 15 rMBP is doing it as well. Just noticed it.

7. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

The other test that I perform is:
    • Drag the Applications folder to the dock
    • Click on the Applications folder (see how it "springs" open as well as how the scrolling of the Apps are)
    • Click on the Utilities folder and see how well it "springs" open as well

When I had a 2012 13" base rMBP this summer, I felt it was too laggy and, despite the beautiful retina display, I returned it for a Haswell 2013 base 13" MBA. But that 2012 rMBP had Mountain Lion on it. I am curious how Mavericks is running for those with the 2012 13" rMBP with regards to lag/scroll issues.

I am currently trying out the 2013 base rMBP 13". At 1680x1050, there is still some lag, but not as bad as I recall on the 2012. However, different OS as well now.

8. zightx macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy a rMBP 13" but I'm worried about using the display on a scaled resolution, working on 1280x800 is totally unacceptable for me. Anyone else having a problem with laggy scroll/animations? I'm also a little worried about the loss of sharpness.

I'm leaning toward the MBA instead because of this.

9. Omnirai macrumors member

found a youtube vid LINK

I dont have any experience in photoshop, so my question: is it normal to have kind of 'lag' when zooming in and out in a picture in photoshop? Or is it just terrible on the 13" MBPr ?

10. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Yeah when resize windows or zooming around a PDF depending on the contents it really can be bad. I've been testing mine extensively for couple of days. At first I thought it's noticeably better than the 2012, but now after 2 days of use I feel it's not any better. I know in benchmarks the Haswell is supposed to be 50% or more faster, but in normal UI operations I am certainly not seeing that performance gain. I think I will just stick with my 2012, which is too bad because I went with the 256GB SSD model and I was about to make use that the space (my 2012 is 128GB).

11. anarti macrumors regular

My 2012 15 retina actually stopped all lags after the upgrade to 10.9.

It is super smooth now

12. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

When scaling there is lag. It comes and goes and mavericks needs an update.