New 13" rMPB sometimes not charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Galatian, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

Hey,

I have this odd problem with my new rMBP. Sometimes when I plug in the power cord my rMBP would not charge nor would the LED on the MagSafe 2 Adapter light up. I need to unplug it several times before it would finally work. One suggestion I read in the Internet was to start OS X in safe mode, but that really didn't help.
    Also one thing I notices was that the battery would charge even if it is still above 95%. I'm not sure if this is normal with the asynchronous batteries used in the retina MacBook Pros but all my last MacBook would not charge if they are still above 95%.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. Service Droid macrumors newbie

Check for any debris on the port on the computer, possibly a loose staple (you'd be surprised at how often it happens).

Barring that, take the machine to an apple store and test with one of their adapters. If it still does the same thing the MagSafe board inside is probably faulty.

4. Galatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Galatian

See this is the thing: it only happens on occasions...and as I know these "Geniuses" (pun intended) they claim nothing is wrong when it doesn't happen before there own eyes. You think making a video when it happens will suffice as "proof" for them?

5. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

6. Galatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Galatian

Sorry I forgot to mention that: I already did this numerous times. This is not a common problem. It works 90% when first plugging it in. I would have probably not noticed it if it didn't happen already on the first day I received my MacBook Pro by chance.

I think I'll just take a video when it happens next time and confront the Apple Store with it. Might just be the charger after all.

7. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    I'm heading to the Apple store today with the same issue on a 13" rMBP. My other charger works fine, so it's the charger. A bad batch?

8. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    As a follow up: the Apple store gave me a new charger as it has a short in the cable out of the box.

9. Galatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Galatian

I know this is an old thread but I have been to the Apple Store and actually the charger was bad and this fried parts of the Mag Safe 2 circuit board on the mainboard. I received a complete new mainboard as well as a new charger!
    Glad I decided t turn it in instead of living with the issue, so I'd advice everybody with a similar issue take it to a store while still under warranty.

10. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I have the same problem too. Maybe I will do something about it.

11. cramazing macrumors 6502

you got a new main broad? are you talking about the charger or the laptop?

i have this issue and just like you it only happens 90% of them time.

12. Galatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Galatian

There was a malfunction in the power supply, although it obviously worked most of the time. Still this did rather large damages on the motherboard. They had to exchange the entire motherboard.

Now the next issue: black screens and 3 beeps. This is supposedly a RAM issue. Of course the rMBP has soldered RAM, so if that is really defective, I will need yet another new mainboard. They were so kind as to put me into the express lane...are you kidding me? I'm without a notebook for three weeks and you'll put me into express lane? Man this sucks...I hope I'm just very unlucky with my purchases, bus my old MacBook Air from 2012 also had an issue right away...three major repairs within one year on Apple products.

13. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

Mine is actually doing this too. I have only had this rmbp for about two months. I have cleaned out the port as well. It only happens are rare occasions, but still it is annoying.

I am hoping it is just the charger and not the laptop.

Since it happens on occasion would they have to see it in person or would they swap out the charger to see if that does it? Also would I need to bring my laptop?

14. cramazing macrumors 6502

wow that sucks. so the charger is causing damage to the motherbroad? even when the charger is working??

maybe i should go get the charger replace asap

15. Galatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Galatian

My guess is, that the overcharging circuit or something alike broke down in the power supply and so it would still charge but the any fluctuations in the power supply would cause damage to the mainboard.

16. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Yep happens to my 13 rMBP too . It only happens 5 percent of the time so I haven't bothered looking into it.

----------

I must say though I find it worrying that there are so many others with the same issue!

17. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

this happened to my 2010 macbook pro. it gradually got worse and worse. the issue was the wire going into the magsafe plug was coming out. you couldnt see it though just by looking at it. it was causing a connection issue though. they handed me a new charger and sent me on my way. never had a problem since.

18. Galatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Galatian

Ok after 4 weeks I finally received my 13" rMBP back. The replacement mainboard I received for the first issue had bad RAM and since Apple decided to solder everything onto the mainboard they had to replace it yet again. Well I hope it holds. If not at least I get my money back..not sure I will buy from Apple then though...

One new problem arouse and I hope someone can help me: starting the computer is now extremely slow. I used to take only a few seconds and now it seems to take forever until the Apple logo even appears. Doesn't this mean it always start in safe mode?