New 13" SSD Setup / Storage SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacModMachine, Nov 9, 2009.

1. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

hi

my new 13" will be arriving shortly, i have decided on this macbook i will run a intel x18 80gb with the 2.5" adapter for my main drive .

i will need a storage drive for virtual mahcines and pictures, anyone have any experience with a decent ssd for storage only ?

what are some suggestions, remeber i want to keep it fairly cheap 500-600 canadian.

the x18 i have already purchase through new egg , it comes with the 2.5" adapter.

thanks for the suggestions,
    ps, i will be using a new modeus caddy with the x18 in it, or possibly a homemade cable to reduce weight and increase space/air flow.

2. DivineEvil macrumors regular

SSDs are simply not big enough for storage! HDD is the bigger and way cheaper for storage than SSD...

3. vant macrumors 65816

Did it not occur to you that people who are interested in SSDs do not need 500GB drives?

SSDs cause no vibration, no noise, and it is not phased by normal daily bumps.

I'd avoid the X18 and go with the X25. The X18 is still last generation.

4. MacModMachine thread starter macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i do not want a hdd....read what i wrote...im talking about ssd's not hdd's, i do not want to invest my money into trash (hdd's).

5. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I'm just curious, and don't have time to look it up...

What does an SSD cost (U.S.$)?

Size = Price: ie: 80GB is x$$? 120Gb is zz$$?

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Dude, even if you are the best 10-finger writer in the world, the writing of that post took you longer than looking it up by yourself!
    Plus, you have to wait for an answer!

OP
    I still don't get why you are choosing the x18 instead of a x25, which are bigger and faster by the same price.
    Any particular reason for that?

7. MacModMachine thread starter macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

actually...the X18 and X25 are the exact same speed, same size (80gb or 160gb), there the exact same unit's (one is 1.8" and one is 2.5")

i got it because it was cheaper because of a stock overflow...got it for 240 canadian.

8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Not that it's any of your business, but my wife was dragging me out the door to get storm supplies.

And now that I've had time to look it up, SSD is not cost effective for my work flow, but thanks for your lack of answer.