New 13" uMBP Battery can only hold 2.5 hours?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sirolway, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Hi all,
    Bought the uMBP about 10 days ago & loving it.
    I calibrated hte battery after I bought it & all was well for a few days but now it says it only has 2:27 of battery life life, even after a full charge.
    It stays saying 2:27 for the next couple of hours, then shuts off...

I'm calibrating it again, which I hope will solve it, but it's a bit odd...

Calibrating:
    -I fully charged it last night
    -this morning I unplugged the power cord, started it up & disabled all the sleep / power saving
    -when I get home tonight it should be completely drained
    -I'll charge it overnight & then it should be calibrated

Right?

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I dont have one personally but i think its a dam nice computer. I havent seen any real world battery tests. But i think it may sound like a problem considering it is no where near its advertised battery life. I would call apple for this see what they can tell you.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Calibrating the battery does not affect the battery at all, it only affects the State-of-Charge meter. Try doing some actual tests to see how long the battery actually runs for. 2:27 is not acceptable for a quoted 7 hour battery. If it persists, get it swapped out.

4. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have said...

a. that initially the battery seemed to hold about 8 hours - fantastic.

b. Then the stated time remaining got a bit flakey; it would say a few hours when you turned it on, but then after a bit of use the time remaining would rise considerably.

c. Then it started saying 2:27 & I figured it was just the Time Remaining getting it wrong again
    But sure enough, the MBP just powered down after a couple or so hours & would not power up again

We'll see how it is after the calibration but if it needs replacing at least I'm in London near a big Apple Store...

5. lavinci macrumors 6502

mine says 4 hours all of a sudden all the time from 100%.

I just got my mac last week

6. donster28 macrumors 6502a

You do not need to run the computer continously after a full charge/unplug. You just have to use your computer normally after that meaning, you can put it to sleep, wake it up, and so on. This is according to an Apple Technician. Try calibrating it again and do it right this time. :)

7. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: Normality seems to have been restored, or at least is nearer.
    What seemed to do it in the end was plugging & unplugging the uMBP into the mains while it was on - battery remaining suddenly jumped & it seems to be behaving more as expected now.