new 13"; what should i do

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The fudge, Feb 3, 2017.

1. The fudge macrumors member

just bought a nTB 13" and was wondering what you guys recommend i do to ensure the battery life is efficient. any other tips for new mac users are most welcomed!

2. getbretweir macrumors member

I keep my brightness low ... that's more a preference than to preserve battery, but it makes a difference. Also, don't let the battery run to 0 before charging ... If you can catch at 30-40% it'll help it long term.

I grabbed the nTB too ... upgraded a few things but didn't want the TB. I value the better battery more. Enjoy pal, it's a great device!!

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Use Safari, not Chrome. Find your Activity Monitor (Lauchpad > Other) and open the Energy tab if you want to see what's using the most power. Usually takes a few days for the battery and early indexing to settle down to normal. There are some threads about battery life tips here, if you get curious enough to scroll back though, or maybe search with Google using a site:forums.macrumors.com search.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. Finchly macrumors member

Finchly

Adjust energy saver preferences, turn off backlit keyboard and close power-hungry apps to name a few. Enjoy your new laptop!

6. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

Enjoy your new laptop! That's what you should do.

Your personal use case scenario is all that counts, so take that sucker for a spin and see how it handles. I would suggest not putting too much stock in what you read online (this obviously included), and instead just experimenting and seeing how it goes from there.

You should do just fine. Congrats on the new machine.

7. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Simply don't install anything unnecessary. If it's not critical to your workflow then don't install it. This includes not installing any utilities that "monitor" or "optimize" anything. Any and all applications that run background processes have the potential to reduce battery life.

Immediately, disable:
    "Location Services"
    "Allow Spotlight suggestions in spotlight and lookup"
    "Allow Handoff between this mac and your iCloud devices"
    Bluetooth

Reduce the brightness.

Then, simply plug in your laptop in whenever you can and it should have great life.