new 1300$ aluminum mac or the white 1000$ mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by swtpeakay, Jun 3, 2009.

1. swtpeakay macrumors newbie

Im sure this has been asked, but which one is better?

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

3. swtpeakay thread starter macrumors newbie

oooh or should i wait? rumors of upgrades june 8th?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

None. Buy one.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would say White one, especially if you go refurb.

6. swtpeakay thread starter macrumors newbie

7. mathieuheartmac macrumors member

Aluminum.

I bought the aluminum in October when they first came out, after I had been planning on a white since I didn't know there was going to be an update.
    I am soooo glad I waited and got the aluminum instead of the white. Even after they dropped the prices on the white.

About a month or two before I bought mine, my sister-in-laws each bought a white, and any time I see or use thiers, I smile inside because I notice every little thing that is better about the aluminum macbook.

Have you went to a store and tried the aluminums? Go test drive each one in person. If the extra $300 isn't too big of an issue, I would think it would be an easy decision to make.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I like the white one (nvidia based version) since it costs less and still has FW400. The screen is poor but I use external monitors most of the time. I understand the new 2.13 white version has a better display.

Cheers,

9. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

The white will perform really just as good aluminum but you lose the LED screen, trackpad and such. I say aluminum if you can afford it without regret. I'm a sucker for things made out of metal instead of plastic.

10. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

We'll see....

11. Dip Falcon macrumors newbie

12. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Go with the new unibody aluminum. The glass screen looks way better than the old screen on the white macbook. I like the overall look of the aluminum and the multi touch trackpad is awesome. It makes using the macbook much easier. The extra $300 dollars is worth it when it comes to these two computers, you will be very happy with the new macbook.

13. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

I am waiting to purchase a MB after WWDC and go to my Apple store weekly and IMHO, the screen on the white macbook is unwatchable, even compared to the MB screen they just replaced. Thrown in the trackpad and aluminum body and, for me at least, it's a no-brainer.

14. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

The white MB is 5% faster for $300 less. Personally I'm waiting for the Al MB to be updated (well and the MBA, idk what I want).

15. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

The processor is barely upgraded and not noticeable to me. I'd go with the aluminum because it has the better screen, amazing track pad! (Biggest point there, the trackpad will put it so much farther ahead of the white one). It's also aluminum which makes it look cool :cool:

16. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

No kidding. It's probably the most popular thread title on MR.

To me it's simple:

if (Firewire is required) or (cost is a concern) then white MB
    else aluminum MB

17. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

If you need it, buy...a spec bump will be only minor.

-Want the aesthetics and fancy, go with the Aluminum (trackpad, metal, led, etc).
    -Want to save money while not losing performance, go with the WhiteBook (spec bump, firewire, etc).

Me, I am going to my BestBuy to pick up the WhiteBook that was before the spec bump for only $899. To me, that's the perfect price for the MacBooks... They're available on their website still.

18. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I actually agree with this, macbooks should be under 1000 dollars. Macbook pros should start at 1500.

19. RaZaK macrumors regular

RaZaK

hmm...

i'm pretty sure the only compelling reason to get the MB White, besides price of course, is the inclusion of FW.

20. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Other than FW, the other reasons would price and esthetics. My GF really likes the white because it is cute. I like the look of the aluminum but more importantly I like the better trackpad and screens.

21. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I don't really see why one would use FW, if money was a concern. I mean aren't FW-using peripherals like really expensive?

22. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

For those of us who still have many, many FW devices, not having FW is not an option.

Cheers,

23. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

i agree. the 2.4 unimb is relatively close in terms of overall performance as the 2.4 mbp . only real difference is the dedicated graphics card. but, i couldn't bring myself to buying another 15+ inch screen again. i enjoy the 13" screen soooooo much more and won't look back. so i bought a mbp lite.:apple: