New 13inch MBP - Battery Draining Fast?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomamon, Apr 8, 2018.

1. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

I just bought a brand new 13 inch MBP, the top model. It is advertised as lasting 10 hours, but the battery is draining at a much faster pace. I have updated it to 10.13.4. Anyone else having this issue or have suggestions?

2. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

Download coconut battery and look at the capacity. If that‘s close to 100%, look at the Activity Monitor to see what‘s using your CPU.

3. sublunar macrumors 6502a

The 10 hour rating is based on doing specific tasks (like light wifi web browsing). If you're exporting Final Cut Pro X videos then your mileage may vary. What does faster pace mean? What programs are you using and what are you doing with them?

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

I will try that!
    Thats all I’m doing right now, nothing heavy yet. Still setting it up and moving files around and copying stuff to and from the Network. I’d say it’s draining in 2 hours...

5. robvas macrumors 68030

Use it for longer than a few hours before you complain about battery life

Tips: use safari
    Clicking by the battery amount left will show you the apps using energy
    Don’t use the screen at full brightness
    Heavy photoshop or programs like iMovie will use the battery quickly

6. Honza1 macrumors regular

OK, 10 hours is rarely seen in real world. And yes, I get it when I do Safari browsing and some text editing, when running below 50% display brightness. May be movie watching (MBP2017). But once I do anything more demanding, cpu goes up, battery goes down. It is simple physics, No one can do anything about that...
    Also, installing, setting up new computer - installers need to uncompress, Spotlight needs to index the drive, some other tasks need to run. I usually leave computer over night after system upgrade running to finish all indexing, backup to TimeMachine etc. That helps to reduce background load.

7. robvas macrumors 68030

I have been web surfing and doing some python programming and reading some PDF's, I have used my 13" for about 4-5 hours total today and I am at 44%

[​IMG]

8. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

You're probably doing more heavyweight tasks. :p

My battery on my 2008 MacBook lasts for a few hours with just standard use. With YouTube videos and Netflix it drains WAY too quickly.

9. tim1000 macrumors regular

the 15 inch gets better battery life than the 13 inch.

10. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

I do use Safari and will check the Apps. Have not even touched Photoshop or iMovieor anything like that yet.'

I pretty much have left it plugged in and turned off or the first two days... I did try and lower the brightness, the screen didn't seem to change.

Have not done any heavyweight tasks yet...

11. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

the tbMBP 13" is known to have worse battery life than the non-tb and the 15" due to a faster processor, additional fan, but same wattage battery as the non-tb model

12. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

Actually TB has smaller battery than non-tb model. And with higher watt CPU/2fans.

13. sergeyz macrumors member

sergeyz

Look at my signature - there is a link to the battery life statistics for most MacBook models. It says that the 13" MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar usually runs on battery for about 6 hours.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It’s probably spotlight indexing everything you are adding this will impact performance and lower battery life until that spotlight indexing has finished give it a few days to settle down.

15. robvas macrumors 68030

Spotlight should have a system indexed in a half hour not a few days

16. tim1000 macrumors regular

where are the battery figures 13 inch vs 15 inch?

17. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It certainly takes longer than half hour and the OP is still moving stuff around using networks etc, it will spotlight index this as it happens and any externals so set up as well.

18. sergeyz macrumors member

sergeyz

The list has a lot of MacBooks, and the battery life depends on the year, Touch Bar, etc.

19. sublunar macrumors 6502a

Yeah but what websites are you visiting? Web ads can eat CPU. Ad blocking can help with that.