New 13RMBP Owner here

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bruenor9, Mar 29, 2014.

1. bruenor9 macrumors newbie

Just got it last night, was so pumped to open it. Got the model with 8gb ram 256 SSD. Im coming from an 11 inch MBA mid 2012.

Few questions and comments

Im using it for general web browsing and a little gaming with League of Legends. It runs it at 60 fps which his nice but fan comes on which is annoying. Any way to lower or disable fan?

Also, I heard this Mac has like a 10 hour battery life, I haven't run a full charge yet but my apple battery thing tells me like 6.

Also any tips and suggestions?

Appreciate it

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

The fan comes on because it needs to cool the machine down.
    I don't think it is a good idea to disable it, you will run into overheating problems.
    There are utilities available that will allow you to control the fan though.

Barney

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your fans are essential for your MBP to perform correctly. You cannot disable or lower the fan speed with software. If the fan was completely disabled, your computer would shut itself down within a minute or two(possibly less) from overheating. The fact alone you're asking this question tells me you have no business playing around with your fans.

10 hours of battery life is attainable under very specific conditions, read the fine print on Apple's website.

"The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%." (The websites contain no Flash whatsoever, and this is done with bluetooth and time machine turned off)

In normal usage, you're more likely to see 6-7.

BTW, I've nearly never seen a computer actually manage to reach advertised battery life without sitting nearly idle.

4. robE89 macrumors regular

I would try to lower the settings if you want less fan activity

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Stay away from the fans and keep it on a hard surface like a desk. Never run it on a bed or other fabric due to heat. Also, don't try to control the fans they do their job.

The battery life is probably going to be like 2-4 hours playing video games.

6. bruenor9 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow I run it on my bed 24/7

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Then here's a suggestion: Don't run it on your bed. At least put a book or tray or something under it.

No wonder the fan runs . . . :rolleyes:

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is like a slow cooker. It kills machines. I'd recommend getting a lap table or using it on a desk when working (or playing).

9. bruenor9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, I never knew that lol. I need to buy one of those pad things then.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In fact, PCs are generally heat ovens and are worse. I can use my cMBP on my bed but it does get warmer than on the desk. I would never try anything intensive. Try running it on a desk and see how cool it is supposed to run. Remember heat kills electronics.