New 14 core Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tuneman07, Dec 28, 2010.

1. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I just heard the new 14 core Mac Pro should be coming out within the next six months or so and am wondering if the performance jump would be good enough to wait? I only use the comp for playing WOW and get about 32 FPS with my current 8 core Mac Pro. I would like to get more FPS in wow I already have maxed out vid card/ram etc...

2. Orange™ macrumors 6502

Troll. If anyone disagrees with my assumption, challenge me here. :apple:

No 14, 16 core coming.
    CPU does not help game play at all.

Apologize.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Intel's not making any 7 core or 14 core parts now or in the near future (perhaps something not yet leaked or even designed *might* happen, but there's currently nothing on the roadmaps).

As per gaming, as mentioned, the additional cores won't be used. The load is on the GPU, not the cores. Most games are single core, and a rare game here or there might use 2. I've heard of 4 for a single game (can't even recall the title), but not sure if that information was even correct.

Your current machine is more than enough in terms of CPU power. Perhaps using Windows 7 on the MP and another GPU (Windows only; there are ways to power them if you're interested) would be the best solution vs. building a dedicated gaming rig in terms of keeping the costs as low as possible (though you could get past a single GPU via Crossfire or SLI, depending on your GPU/s of choice if budget isn't as much of an issue).

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

As already stated, games are not that multi-threaded. At best they would use 4 cores, but certainly not 8. You need a better video card more so than CPU power. With that said, you might get a little bit better performance with faster cpus, but you certainly don't need more cores.

Oh and 14 makes no sense at all unless they are 8 core CPU's that have one core disabled/broken (much like AMD does with their 3 core CPU's).

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

They've actually done this, but keep the active core count to even numbers to date, rather than odd numbers as AMD does from time to time (such as the example you listed).

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

7. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I expected more from the couple of people above who actually took this thread seriously.