New 15.4" Macbook Pro vs 17" Refurbished

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeff_siler, Oct 7, 2007.

?

New 15.4" Macbook Pro vs 17" Refurbished Macbook Pro

1. New 15.4" Macbook Pro

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Refurbished 17" Macbook Pro

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I'm having a difficult time deciding on buying a 15.4" macbook pro SR (2.2 Core 2 Duo) new or buying a 17" (2.16 Core duo) refurbished from the Apple Outlet.

Is the 2.16 Core duo pretty close to the same speeds as a 2.2 core 2 duo? Since both are the same price, am I getting a better deal with the 17"?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. linshiwen macrumors member

Ive been debating the 17" vs 15" for quite a while now. I currently have a Macbook, but the second Macbook Pros have a case redesign OR the 15" version has a 1680x1050 option (its coming... oh yes... it must), Ill be leaping on it.

Anyway, the factors I think you need to consider are workload, screen real estate, and portability. Do you carry your laptop around a lot? That 17" case is not small, and that extra 1.4 lbs will be quite noticable if you walk long distances (e.g. to and from class, like me). Do you do a lot of processor intensive activities like video encoding? If not, then you will not notice the difference between 2.16 and 2.2. On second thought, even if you do use processor intensive programs, you probably won't notice. Do you love pixels as much as I do? If so, the (pathetic, in my opinion) 1440x900 res 15" is a far cry from the (gorgeous) up-to 1920x1200 of the 17".

Other general buying advice - if you can't get the student discount for yourself, find someone who can.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The new 15'' is a fully 64-bit system while that 17'' refurb is 32bit. Therefore the new can take 4 gigs of ram and the old can take only 2.

4. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats a good point. One of the main reasons I was considering the 17" was because of the infamous yellow tint issue on the 15.4" LED Backlit models. If the performance is much better on the 15.4" I might just risk it.

I can always have apple replace the screen if I see the yellow tint on the lower 1/3 of the screen right?

Jeff

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The yellow screen thing isn't as big of a deal as its made out to be. I had 2 MBPs (first one had to be replaced due to bent casing around the Superdrive) and the displays were fine on both. These forums greatly exaggerate issues. You're most likely going to get a perfect MBP.. and if for some reason you don't Apple will just exchange it for you.

6. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Wait Three More Weeks For It To Ship With Leopard

No because the 2.16 C2D isn't Santa Rosa and won't let you run 4GB of ram. It's not a true 64-bit Mac. I've seen the newest 2.4GHz 17" C2D HD already on the refurbished store. Just keep watching and it'll come back. Be patient. Also, if you can wait two more weeks it will ship with with Leopard.

8. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

I just posted a link for the 2.33 Core 2 Duo (Non SR). Is this 64-bit?

Jeff

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Wait For It To Ship With Leopard Jeff

No it is NOT. Forget anything pre-current line which is already on the refurb store page as well. If you just wait 3 more weeks you get it with a Leopard drop in install DVD Jeff. Can you hold your water 3 more weeks Jeff?

There should be a moratorium on buying any new or refurbished Macs this close to Leopard shipping.

10. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Yeah. Ill call Apple right now and let them know your suggestion. :rolleyes:

11. emac82 macrumors 6502

The 2.33 Core 2 Duo has a 64-bit processor, but won't be completely 64-bit until you install Leopard.

12. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Any Pre-Santa Rosa Motherboards Are Not True 64-bit Macs

No. While the C2D is 64-bit, the motherboard is not. You must buy a Santa Rosa MBP to get a full 64-bit mobile Mac that can see and use all of two 2GB ram sticks.

13. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Moratorium Idea Is For Shoppers Not Apple

It's not a suggestion for Apple. It's a suggestion for customers, buyers, shoppers, consumers, those in the market for a new computer.

14. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

Get the 15 inch. It has an LED screen, newer processor, better graphics card, Wireless N, and 17 inch is just too big for a laptop to be portable.

Plus, since the 15 inch is Core 2 Duo you'll get more benefit from Leopard because it can run in its fully 64 bit environment.

15. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok i have made my mind on the 15.4" SR Macbook Pro. Now, what about buying refurbished? I've heard horror stories about the yellowing at the bottom of some of the screens. I went to the Apple store this weekend and saw a bunch of 15.4's with yellow tint at the bottom.

I'm thinking about buying a refurbished mbp for a discount and hoping that the screen issue is fixed.

Sound like a good idea?

Jeff

16. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty close to buying a refurbished SR Macbook Pro. Has anyone purchased one and NOT received the yellowing issue from the outlet store on apple.com?

Jeff

17. maccad macrumors newbie

2 months ago I purchased the refurb 2.33 17" MBP. I was under the impression that it was a full 64 bit capable machine. After following this thread, I called Apple and they agreed to let me return this machine on their dime.:D

An even exchange price would be the 2.4 SR MBP 15". (Would miss the 17" screen) Is this exchange worth all the trouble of sending and waiting for a new machine? What are the pros and cons?

18. pscoble macrumors 6502

..dude the 2.33 are C2D but...whatever. (and by the way they actually are not santa rosa but again whatever)

19. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

keep the 17" unless you plan on buying/need 4 gb ram. I use FCP with the stock 2gb, I don't feel the need for more Ram... You may or may not.