New 15.4" uMBP with 3.06 or Wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Mar 4, 2010.

  1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

    Wicked1

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #1
    I am looking at upgrading and Apple has some good pricing on the uMBP 15.4" Refurb with the 3.06 or should I wait until June to see if they come out with a better CPU like the i5 or i7 ?

    I personally am thinking of waiting just for a potentional price drop, not that the newer CPU's are more compelling, just trying to see if they will reduce the prices, although refurb's are a good way to go.:rolleyes:
     
  2. sharkzfanz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2008
    Location:
    San Jose, CA
    #2
    3.06Ghz will be about equal with MOST day to day tasks. If you do very extensive items like video editing or photo editing maybe wait but if not really no need.
     
  3. Opstech macrumors 6502a

    Opstech

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #3
    I love mine. Got it in November fully loaded. It's super fast and it's also is a speed freak in Final Cut Express
     
  4. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2004
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #4
    If you don't really care about the extra power of updated CPUs, you probably don't even need the 3.06Ghz model ;)
     
  5. Puqq macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2009
    #5
    +1

    After update, you could get maybe get i7s for the same price. Those are 25% or so faster.

    And GPU will be updated as well
     
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    If you can wait, then I recommend you do so. If you have an immediate need, then it makes little sense in waiting.

    When apple does get around to releasing the new line of MBPs the prior generation that is still in inventory will go to the refurb store for a discount.
     
  7. kap09 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2009
    #7
    if you're machines in your sig are doing well enough at the moment, i'd suggest waiting. the upgrade to i5/i7 should be substantial over the 3.06 in the long run, and will be a much bigger upgrade for you when the time comes.
     

Share This Page