New 15 inch MacBook Pro soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boombox15, Jul 8, 2015.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

I have noticed that new orders of the 15 inch retina MacBook Pro from Apple now ship in 5-7 days. It's only been about 2 months since they were last updated. Does that mean that there are new ones coming?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Only Apple knows. We might see some sort of refresh when El Capitan is released later in the fall.

3. andy123456 macrumors newbie

Better not, my Mid 2015 rmbp just arrived on June 26.

4. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

5. vbedia macrumors regular

Who knows. At this point it could happen, considering the last update was a small one. I would not be surprised if it did. However I would say no new rMBP this year.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No. They just released the current model. The next upgrade will be after Skylake is released.

7. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

If you look at the first Macbook Pro model released this year, the rMBP 13, the update arrived in March. The update frequency in rMBPs average around 217 according to the Buyers Guide. If we find out the number of days between 9. March and using the old Yosemite release date, 16. October, we see a space of 221 days. Since the Macbook Pro 15 only upgraded force touch and dGPU, holding on the same CPU and clock speeds, I expect both a redesign and Skylake upgrade along with El Capitan this fall.

Three years is a lifetime in computing, so a redesign from the original 2012 retina MBP is must to keep peoples interest in Apple. The CPUs haven't really gotten a bump since Sandy Bridge, and the only way to show off some muscle is to innovate with design. Since thermal and battery is the main focus now, expect thinner Pros some time in October.

Users who need a dGPU will also need lots of space to store and render, requiring external storage, making the real utility of a laptop no lenger relevant. It's time to dump the the heated dGPU and solely depend on iGPU. One port and one mic packed in a thin and light quad core machine.

8. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone actually confirm that there are delays? For example, for people that have ordered this week, is your order shipped or still processing?

9. Dom497 macrumors newbie

Since on Tuesday is the rumoured announcement for update ipod touches and nano's, maybe Apple is going to throw in a Mac update to? Fit's in with the 5 -7 day "delay".

10. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

6+ months between releases/refreshes. This winter, the earliest.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They could drop in a broadwell chip at any time it's the same socket etc as haswell. Don't expect any announcements or anything though it'll just be a silent refresh of the CPU.