"New" 15" Mac Book Pro vs. "Old" Close Out Models? Which would you buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chantiedas, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Chantiedas macrumors newbie

Chantiedas

Apologies if a thread as already been started on this... but I would love to know.... what do you guys think about the option to buy the recently released 15" Mac Book Pro verses a "Old" 15" Mac Book Pro (earlier this year)??? I see conversations about the great deals on closeouts out now but none weighing the option to go for a closeout or hold out for a new release MBP...

For instance take two deals I found:

a) Close Out MacBook Pro 15"
    2.4 GHz, 2x2048 MB, 250 GB Hard Drive, at $1,699.00

or

b) Recently Released MacBook Pro 15"
    2.66 GHz, 4GB, 320 GB Hard Drive, at $1,849.00 (With Student Discount)

Are the savings enough to make the difference worth while? Do you guys like the unibody? Is it good to have the battery permanently inside like that? Which one would you buy?

I'd love thoughts from anyone who has any of these models or simply knows enough about macs.... Thanks in advance.... :cool:

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I doubt increased gamut will matter to most. And who needs a removable battery when it need not be touched for 3x as longer? That said, the new offerings are VERY competitive, and those extra few hundred dollars will buy you a brand new, cutting edge laptop that runs faster and is better in every aspect.

This is the one time buying new may outweigh the costs of buying a refurbed Mac.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

People that use their computers for "real" (meaning applications that require more cpu than that required by Safari) things away from outlets?

I like the older models with the removable battery/expresscard slot. I'd definitely take the deal on the older unibody if I was in the market.

4. srexy macrumors 6502a

You missed the refurb I just pulled the trigger on:

Refurb 2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb hdd, 9600m, 6mb l2 cache, (expresscard slot) - $1449

I think I love this update purely because it drove the refurbs down so far!

5. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Maybe its just the gadget geek inside of me, but I would get the newest Macbook Pro. But I like the things they added. Longer life battery, SD card reader, better screen are all very nice additions for what I am looking for in a computer.

6. Chantiedas thread starter macrumors newbie

Chantiedas

Where did you find that deal? That is pretty sweet!!!

Thanks for your feedback everyone... please keep it coming! ;)

7. srexy macrumors 6502a

yer...

8. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Old model

I was waiting for WWDC to upgrade but decided on the new old model 2.66 with the 512 video, more L2 cache, and express card slot for the same price as the entry level 15 with lower specs for video, cache, and express slot. The only difference was loosing the 500 hard drive and slightly higher processor speed. I did the EDU price with the back to school so I got a great deal.

9. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

I got the previous gen MBP for $1349-5% cashback. The reason I got the prev gen was because of the removable battery and Hard Drive. Plus, I never use the laptop on battery for 7 hrs anyway.

There's a website that e-mails you when Apple adds inventory to their refurb store.

Here it is-

www.refurb-store.com

Use a Discover credit card if you have one for 5% cashback.

10. findwaldonow macrumors member

You are a silly goose. I bought the refurb 2.53Ghz '08 Macbook Pro today over the new models and not only am I happier with the price. In many ways, I'm happier with the computer itself regardless of price.
    1. Switching out a battery on the fly when working out and about on video editing and similar tasks is really nice.
    2. Expresscard slot is actually useful and you can just get an SD card reader for it. They took away a slot that does many things, including what the one they replaced it with does, absolutely silly. Who is so lazy that they need room taken up on the side of their computer for transferring pictures. Plug in a USB to your little Powershot camera, seriously.
    3. Changing out the hard drive is simpler.

The speed bump is negligible, as is the color gamut improvements from what I can tell. Otherwise I got the same computer as somebody paying $850 more, as the $2299 model is the only one with the 512MB of VRAM. If anything I'd say this is a moment where buying a refurbished machine is miles better than getting the new model.

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i kinda like the new battery on the new mbp. I have an older mbp, and the battery has died twice in 2 years. Luckily it was covered by warranty but still..the new batteries sound amazing. 7 hrs of battery life and 1000 cycles sounds like over the life of the laptop, you'll never have to replace the battery. ALso, if the 7 hrs actually pans out, you'll be getting 2x the last gen battery life. That alone sounds worth it.

12. John89 macrumors regular

Cheers

13. paintball312 macrumors member

Got the same machine a while ago for $1999, wish I had waited until now, but I otherwise had no computer, so I pulled the trigger. It's a great machine, and I certainly love it. That's just the way technology goes. Enjoy your purchase :)

14. srexy macrumors 6502a

Yup - I paid $2700 for my 2.33ghz 15" in '06. It's still going strong but I decided to jump on a good deal now as it seemed too good to pass up.

15. chris7777 macrumors 6502

Did you get EDU , and the Back to school deal on the refurb?

I thought you couldn't do that, or else I would have, I wonder what I can do to try and get that deal?
    I got the 2.53 for $1450 refurb

16. tangerinedress macrumors newbie

so confused! i just wish the stork would come and deliver me something so id didn't have to decide anymore. the refurbs 320hd/4gb when it's all said and done is only about $100 cheaper with tax and shipping, than the quote i got on a new 250had/4gb:eek:
    sigh? can someone justify the reasoning for chancing the refurb?

new or old for protools use? anyone?

XOX
    SOS

17. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

"chancing the refurb?" I think it would be a safe bet. They're good and you can always buy AppleCare with an EDU discount.

I like the ExpressCard slot and the discreet graphics (the entry 15 doesn't have the 9600M GT)

While the new one has better battery, that isn't much of a concern for me.

EDIT: plus, a 2.5" 320 HD costs about 60-100 bucks, so you could technically factor that in too :p

18. iomatic macrumors regular

Disagree with you on a few points (not trying to argue in a mean way, or anything). Just conversation.

Not having to switch a battery is even better. Here's an external battery.

- Anything you can do with ExpressCard, you can do with FireWire or USB.
    - People who do use the room taken up are not lazy, but people with SD cards. I use a Leica professionally, and far prefer that. If I use my SLRs, I use a compact flash reader, which I already have, because no Macs came with a CF reader. Plugging in your camera for download is a. slower, b. wastes camera battery life (I would add c. a little more awkward to fondle, rotate, locate port flap, remove port flap, and plug in, turn on camera, etc, but it's a digression).

- yes, but you don't need to change your hard drive nor RAM very often. You take the extra ten minutes to open the case, change out the components, and live with it for quite awhile.

Back in the day, 200MHz was quite an improvement. Improving image render times are always a bonus. Color gamut improvements are always welcome.

You can certainly choose to do what you want for your money.

19. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

I just purchased this model as well. Couldn't pass up the refurb price and I wanted the expresscard slot and removable battery. The new 15" is a real downgrade in many areas IMO. Now I'll be selling my current Late '06 17" MBP on eBay.

20. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I don't think you can get EDU discount on refurb models.

21. srexy macrumors 6502a

Let's let the specs speak for themselves:

Refurb store - for $1449 you get 2.53ghz procs, 6mb level 2 cache, 4gb ram, 320gb drive and discreet 512mb graphics card (OpenCl anyone?)

New

- for $1699 you get 2.53ghz procs, 3mb level 2 cache, 4gb ram, 250gb drive and shared 256 graphics

- or -

for $1999 you get 2.66ghz procs, 3mb level 2 cache, 4gb ram, 320 gb drive and discreet 256mb graphics card

- or -

for $2299 you get 2.8ghz procs, 6mb level 2 cache, 4gb ram, 500gb drive and 512 discreet graphics card.

Even with any student discount the discreet vs onboard graphics specs are compelling.

To me the only thing that makes the new model attractive is the battery life, but I think I'd rather use my savings down the line for a SSD which would probably help w/battery anyway. - Oh, and I checked on aftermarket batteries for the late 08 unibodies and they run around $90.

Good luck w/your decision

Attached Files:

22. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

The new screen is a bit nicer than the previous models (I just returned my 5,1 for a 5,3) and noticeably if that makes a difference.

23. chris7777 macrumors 6502

You can?, and what kind of a discount is it?