New 15" Macbook: Battery problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MN7119, Nov 8, 2013.

1. MN7119 macrumors regular

Just got my new 15" MacBook Pro yesterday. It is the 2.3GHz with 16GB RAM and 1TB flash. I charged the computer overnight and this morning it was showing 100% battery but only 4:30hs remaining. I restarted the computer and the battery shows the same. There is nothing running that could be using too much power of the computer since I did not install files or programs. Is it normal for the time remaining be kind of weird or i may have a problem with the battery?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is more running than you may be aware of. Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

The "time remaining" indication is an ever-changing estimate, based on the current workload of your system. It will fluctuate up and down from minute to minute as your power demands change. It is not perfectly accurate, but only an estimate. Also, Apple's battery life estimates are based on very specific conditions, which are likely to be different from your real-world usage.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. MN7119 thread starter macrumors regular

4. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

Have you run the laptop until the battery runs to 5%? The battery life / percentage fluctuates and varies based on what's running.

Please see my post where I ran the machines until the battery was almost drained -- this has link to my spreadsheet:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...6#post18328676

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Your spotlight is indexing. Give it some time. Notice the mdworker process? That's Spotlight's metadata indexing process. Let it complete and then check the battery life after.

6. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

What is mdworker? If I am reading that right, its using almost 94% of your cpu. That doesn't make any sense.

You should be seeing a lot more battery. Something is using it. I get over 10 hours (displayed not real world) on a full charge.

EDIT... The above post above me answered my question.