New 15" Macbook Pro (I5) takes 47 seconds to boot. Is this excessive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dgerch, May 21, 2010.

1. dgerch macrumors member

It seems like this is taking too long. Should I be concerned? I've only had the computer for a month but start up seems slower.... Any advice on trouble shooting?

2. rawd macrumors regular

3. dgerch thread starter macrumors member

I guess that's reassuring. At least I didn't get a lemon....

4. gingafeet macrumors newbie

Go to system preferences and check in start up disk whether or not you have selected your hard drive as boot up disk.
    If its not selected, do so. it should resolve the issue.

5. swish2351 macrumors 6502

My 13" takes 26.5 seconds (just timed it) But you have 2 Graphics Cards, a HUGE processor, and more stuff. So I think that your time is a little too long. But just about right.

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Keep in mind that things like boot times are far more reliant on the Hard Drive than the CPU, if you have the stock 5400RPM drive then that time seems perfectly normal.

7. dgerch thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I took your advice on changing the system preference and now my startup time is 51 seconds. Is it possible that something I've downloaded is slowing me down?

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Possibly if you have it to open at login (when we say startup, are we talking about getting to desktop, in a ready state?). Anything under a minute is good going though. I noticed zero difference in bootup times between an iMac G5 with Tiger and a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard even though you'd expect there to be one. As already said, it's more of a hard drive thing than a processor thing. Generally speaking, the more full your hard drive is, the slower it becomes.

9. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

The more ram the longer the boot.

mine takes about 28 seconds with 4GB/500gb7200.

That said, it takes an awful long time to do anything when I hit the button. A good 5-6 seconds passes before it even looks like its been pressed!

10. djanthonyw macrumors newbie

I just got my i5 2.4 Ghz, 320 GB, 5200 RPM today and it's booting up in 26 seconds.

11. dgerch thread starter macrumors member

I have 260 of my original 320 gigs of hard drive free.... My computer is booting up twice as slow as the guy who did the last post and I've only had it for a month. I use utorrent and I'm kinda of new to the whole concept. Is it possible that I downloaded something strange? Is there a way to check what application is the culprit?

12. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

Haven't tested boot up time yet, but it's pretty fast. I'll post once I feel the need to turn off my mbp instead of putting it in sleep mode :p

13. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Around 45 seconds is okay, it all depends on how many login items and menubar items you have. On my Intel SSD it takes exactly 19 seconds to boot in.

14. dgerch thread starter macrumors member

What is a login item? How do I check to see what they are?

15. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

They are the programs / applications which open by default when you start your computer. You can control them from System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items. Use the + or - to add or delete items.

16. dgerch thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for the tips. I'm learning a lot! I found three login items: (1) Itunes helper (2) HP EventHandler and (3) HP Scheduler. I could only delete the first one from the login. The other two didn't give me the option to -. I just rebooted to check the speed again. 48 seconds.

17. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Why couldn't you get rid of the HP shitt ? They weigh you down for no reason. And ask for taking part in surveys and registering crap every 15 days. :mad:

18. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I'd say if you are under a minute, you're sitting in high cotton. Imagine all those Windows machines that take 14 years to boot up...

19. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

nice thread hope your issue gets resolved soon. I will be a first time mac user and so this will be helpful. Perhaps limit the amount of apps that load up on start up. I mean 45 seconds is a long wait. My PC that I build about 4 years ago (using today) boots up in less than 27 seconds and it doesnt have a SSD. (C2D and 2GBs ram) so 45 seconds does seem too long of a wait. But I have heard to keep the laptop only on sleep (or hibernate idk) mode (something with smart sleep app) but good luck finding a true solution instead of "just dont turn your computer off"

20. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Here is my experience

Download "ONXY" http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

goto Repair permissions then goto cleaning and clean all the Boot, Kernel in System cache :D

After you done all that, restart your computer, this time will take a while to startup... after a period of time, you'll notice is faster. What it does is re create all the boot up cache :)

OS X is quite funny as I noticed~ Especially after you installed some software, it will be slower when startup...

21. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

22. shadygrove macrumors regular

Mine takes in between 15 and 20 seconds. :D

I would be 40+ seconds would be typical for a HD.

23. tworth23 macrumors regular

Get An Ssd!!!!!!!!!!

@Thread starter

The startup time is determined by your hard drive. Get an SSD, the start-up time is amazing. I have the macbook Pro 15" i7, 128gb SSD, 8gb ram and mine starts up in 19 seconds and shuts off almost immediately.

24. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Ditto !

25. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

Well SSD is a nice option only if you can afford it but I think what he and most other with slow boot up times will be more concern about actual solutions with without purchasing/replacing hardware.

Sidenote: I love SSDs want to get a 512GB once they become more affordable and firmware updates become less frequent and more stable. Also as time progresses I will be able to purchasing bigger storage size and faster spec'd for less.