New 15" Macbook Pro, should I exchange?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Techhie, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

About 12 days ago I bought a 15" 2.4 Ghz MacBook Pro (unibody) from best buy. Its amazing and all, but yesterday I noticed that when the keyboard backlights, the "%5" key is brighter than the rest of them by quite a bit. I thought I could live with this, but it has proved to be extremely annoying. I wouldn't normally return something for this reason, but I'm afraid it will hurt the resale value in a few years. That said, I have 2 days before the 14 day return period ends, and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it before I exchange it for a new one?

2. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

yeah just exchange it if you aren't happy. why bother asking?

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

you might get something with even WORSE problems. Yours sounds minor to some of the other problems i've read on these boards. :cool:

4. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

Yes i could, but it is very annoying, and for paying 2,100 for this I think it should be perfect. If I can exchange at best buy for no hassle, why not?

5. Dio Gratia macrumors newbie

It's only repairable by replacing the keyboard. A Unibody MacBookPro is purported on ifixit.com to have the keyboard and case top (palm rest, what ever) as a single replaceable unit, although ifixit is talking about stocking just keyboards (at some point in the future). If it's an LED running too bright it could fail or discolor the key legend.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac/MacBook-Pro-Unibody/Page-11#top

6. six.four macrumors 6502

if you have your mind set already, then why bother even asking?

I'd like to see a pic of what you're describing - I can't imagine that being a real problem.

Honestly, if you're complaining about a single key on the keyboard being more lit than the others, the chances of you getting a replacement that will meet your satisfaction is very slim.

7. 7even macrumors 6502a

I think the "few years" will hurt the resale value a lot more than the single key..

8. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

I think six.four is right, i have pretty much made up my mind to exchange it. The thing is there are other minor problems with it as well. There is a stuck pixel (green) on the display (have already run the unstuck pixel program to no avail) and the bottom cover for the battery is loose. The are all minor, but I think that it should warrant an exchange. Does anyone know the procedure at best buy for exchanges? Should i just bring all the original stuff and box and they just give me a new one? It has been 12 days after all. Thanks!

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

Lol, I'd complain more about the stuck pixel and battery cover than that key ;) And yes, that's how exchanges work. Hopefully they don't try to charge you for re-stocking.

10. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

I don't think they can because it's defective, and does it matter If I am not the purchaser of it? My dad put it on his debit card, and I don't feel like dragging him into this. I just want to drive down and get it. I have the receipt for it.

11. six.four macrumors 6502

Totally agree. The stuck pixel would drive me crazy.

As for the restocking fee, my guess is it would really depend on if the Best Buy employee deems the stuck pixel/loose battery cover/brighter key as legitimate manufacturing defects or if it is within spec.

If they deem it's within spec... then you'd probably have to pay the restocking fee - but I'm going to guess that's unlikely.

12. 7even macrumors 6502a

I don't remember having to show a card when I was exchanging a defective keyboard. As long as you have the receipt, I think you'll be fine.

13. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

You might need the credit card

Don't mention that it's not your credit card, no matter how young you look. If they want to avoid exchanging it, they might decide to use that as an excuse.

14. joshallegro macrumors newbie

PLEASE NOTE:

Don't be deterred by the bullies in this forum!
    If you can't forgive them them please just forget.

Every query on this forum is perfectly legitimate, ESPECIALLY if it is regarding a defected Apple computer.
    These products we purchase should be absolutely spotless with no design flaws what so ever. Apple set this standard in the 1st place, they should certainly stick to it.

I have a feeling that most of the users who challenge other users for posting threads about defected products etc. actually own a defected product themselves, but never did anything to resolve their anguish. Therefore, when you confirm there feelings of dissatisfaction with their product they become unhappy and kinda lash out!

15. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

Returned it at best buy, I was in and out in 10 minutes. For further reference, they had a geek squad "professional" come and look at it first, but then had me go to the computer section and get another one. A quick print out of a receipt, and I was good to go. I'm glad I went there within the 14 days, else it most likely would have been sent in for repair. New MacBook Pro is perfect as far as I can see, this is how it should be!

thanks for all your help and the quick reply!