New 15" macbook pro stuttering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by allupons, Mar 19, 2011.

1. allupons macrumors member

I am experiencing an occasional issue, and I was wondering if anyone else was. On my new 2011 mbp, occasionally when listening to music in itunes, or gaming in sc2, etc the computer will sort of freeze for a second or two and then catch back up really quickly. This only happens occasionally, but I cant say I have ever seen this on my other macs. Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

2. zincaloy macrumors newbie

Got the same problem; see this thread 15" high end MBP keeps locking up.

The problem is now mostly gone after verifying and repairing the disk OSX boots from. Best to boot up from the installation CD (hold down option wjile booting), go to utilities and then disk utility. Run the verify disc and repair disk options. Then reboot and hopefully the freezing goes away.

Or run the test first in the disk utility on your Mac and if an error comes back repair from the CD, most chance of succeeding that way because the disk is not used then.

3. allupons, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

allupons thread starter macrumors member

Yea. I have the exact same machine. I also am fairly certain it has to do with the 750gb 5400 rpm drive being flakey possibly. 1 error was found when I ran the disk utility from bootup disc, but I don't believe it has completely fixed things. Swapping a drive with apple would be nice, but I imagine they will want me to cough up the entire custom mbp just to replace it for me. Not sure what to do yet.

4. zincaloy macrumors newbie

Same for me. I'm thinking about buying a 7200RPM disk for the macbook and putting the current disk in an external hard disk enclosure for backups and storage of data I don't need often. Was thinking about buying one anyway.

Will costs me about $100. About the same price a 750Gb 2,5 inch external disk goes for, that often are 5400RPM too.

If you live in the states or a country with official Apple stores you can probably get it exchanged within 2 days or so. I'll have to send it in (waiting for collection by UPS, repair, and finally delivery again) as we don't have any official Apple stores yet where I live. Usually that takes about a week or more, since UPS does not deliver in weekends.

5. allupons thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to update that doing a PRAM reset and a SMC reset has seemingly resolved the issue, at least in regards to sc2 glitches. I have had the computer lock up once or twice while exiting a full screen game, but that is a known issue with the new macbook pros that I expect will be resolved by a firmware update in the near future as integrated only settings seem to stop the lockups.

6. zincaloy macrumors newbie

I'll reset my PRAM/VRAM when I get back home. I've only reset my SMC so far. Starting to doubt whether it's my harddisk causing problems, because it has no problems whatsover in expanding large files (4GB and up) and reading HD material from the disk goes without a Hiccup, even 3 simultaneous HD files playing won't result in even a single glitch.

7. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

My music stutters too, and videos become blocky briefly when a sudden noise/scene change "startles" the screen. This is on OS X although when I play music really loudly on Windows 7 64 bit using VLC it sometimes stutters too.

Every laptop I've ever owned has refused to play music at the highest volume :(

feels bad man

8. Messy macrumors 6502

Seems like a common problem from what i've read.

9. zincaloy macrumors newbie

Called Apple today about the problem. Also happened to be day 14 of the return window, so instead of repairing they will switch my MBP for a new one.

It's either the hard disk that is failing, but it can also be the controller or CPU that is failing, so on the long term it's for the better.

Anyway I'm getting a new MBP that hopefully does not have this problem.