New 15" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marty80, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Marty80, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

Marty80 macrumors member

So I am considering buying a new MacBook pro as i need one, but the prices are so steep especially to customise them. I am looking at the base 15" with the i7 2.6ghz and 256ssd. I play mainly strategy game XCOM 2, Starcraft, diablo, Hearthstone, sim city, civilisation etc. In addition to surfing the web, email and dabbling with photoshop occasionally will this system suit my needs fine over time.

2. powertoold macrumors 6502

If you're not using a Mac to create staff: like software, pictures, or video, you should really just get a Dell XPS.

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Worst advice I've ever read.

If you don't like Macs of a Mac's OS, then you might want to consider a Dell XPS. Otherwise, I would go with the best Mac you can afford.

4. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Not every Mac is good at creating what you mention, in fact, if on a budget, you'll get more out of a PC for audio/video/photo work for less money. Assuming your software isn't on Mac (Logic/FinalCut).

5. Marty80 thread starter macrumors member

I am interested in purchasing a MacBook for strategy gaming, surfing the web, casual photoshop etc. I am too entwined in Apple's ecosystem to change to PC (Not that I want to anyway). I wanted to know if the 15" 2.6ghz i7 base model will meet my needs or should i update the CPU or GPU or both.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I don't think all of your post made it through, but if I understood you correctly, I would upgrade the GPU first.

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I dont do any of those and love my Mac! Windows - yucky!

8. Jack Sun, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

Jack Sun macrumors member

let me get to the point: this is PLENTY for you! Don't buy whatever you can afford, buy what you NEED and will use.

I have a 3 yr old 15" quadcore 16gb with similar usage to you and rarely need even half of the power.

For typical laptop use 90% of the time, you don't need CPU upgrade or gpu upgrade or anything else. Unless you plan on running two huge 5k screens or something power hungry like that.

9. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

What he said. I ordered top of the line 15, and 13.. but that's just because I like to spend money. What you're doing will work on a macbook ( non pro )