New 15" Macbook Pros - Good or bad for graphic designers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by videotape, Jul 7, 2009.

?

To MBP or not to MBP?

1. Keep the 15"

100.0%
  2. Return it and get an older MBP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Return it and get the 17"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Return it and get a PC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. videotape macrumors newbie

I'm a graphic design student and I just got a really great internship..one problem, you have to bring your own laptop (lame, I know). My old macbook can't handle some of the large files I have to work with not to mention the 13" screen is less than convenient so I decided to invest in a macbook pro. I really wanted to get the 17" mbpro with a matte screen but I just can't afford it (being a student and all) so I got a refurbished 15" mbpro (with only the glossy option :() ..it's on it's way right now and apple only gives you 14 days to return. I've been reading up and all I hear is bad things about the new macbook pros (for creatives) and I'm worried I'm going to regret the purchase down the road... I was torn because I don't want to switch to a pc..I love mac os..it's so easy to browse through files, the design is so unimposing and it runs so smoothly. Plus, my job & every design class I've ever taken has been mac based so it's just much more convenient. And I didn't want to fork out $1,000+ for an older mbpro.. So I was hoping to get some advice...

Should I keep it or does the glossy screen make it unusable for graphic design? (sorry for the long rant!)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Glossy isn't that bad, just avoid reflections. 15" can be better because 17" can be too big and heavy to carry around every day. There are also some anti-glare tapes around which will decrease the amount of reflection.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't think the weight makes the 15" automatically better, the extra screen real estate and the option to not glare seems to make it the winner in my books?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, sorry "is" should be "can". 15" can be better because it's lighter and smaller than 17". OP said that he can't afford 17"

5. videotape thread starter macrumors newbie