new 15" macbook, retina or not

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roeliepoelie, Jun 12, 2012.

1. roeliepoelie macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am into a new macbook, my current 13" white macbook6.1 is loosing it speed, getting too old..
    I want to have an 15", so i can choose between the retina or the 'normal' one...
    First, i use the macbook for photoshop, Imovie (maybe one day some other movie-editing program) and just the 'around the house-work'.
    My idea is to go for the retina, looks like a hell of a machine were i can have a lot of fun with.
    But, i really don't know ****** about computers, like intel, ram, processor Ghz..
    So, i can choose between two retina macbooks, the 2.3 GHZ or the 2.6Ghz.
    They both have 8gb RAM, will that be enough for my tasks.?
    And, will it make a big different if i choose between 2.3 GHZ and 2.6 GHZ?
    (I got now a 2.26 intel core 2 duo, 2 gb 1067 Mhz DDr3)

To make a long question short, will the low end Macbook Retina with 2.3Ghz be enough for the tasks i want to do with it? or is the extra 600Dollar for 2.6 Ghz and extra 256Gb flashdrive well spent?
    And, is 8 Gb enough....
    I really don't have a clue, none of my friends now a lot about computers, so you are my only help....

Best regards,
    Roel

2. salmoally macrumors regular

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

you won't notice a difference from the 2.3 to the 2.6 with normal usage. 8 gigs of Ram should be plenty, but it cannot hurt to get the 16. Most people on here are going for the base retina with 16gb ram

4. Jazwire, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Retina - Yes.

The 3 Possible Upgrades: (High-end model)

2.6 > 2.7 Ghz - Only if you are just anal. (Like me)

8 > 16 GB - This is the upgrade I think is a no-brainer, you can't upgrade the memory period later on. Is 8GB enough now for most people , yes. Will it be in 2+ years?
    For me it was easy, I already use more than 8. Frankly, I just hope that 16gb is go enough for me in the future.

512 > 768 SSD - Honestly I would of prob got this upgrade, had it not tacked on 3-5 weeks to the ship time. But all reality i am using about 220 GB currently and honestly could most likely drop 50gb of junk if i wanted. With cloud storage, usb, flash, ext storage. Im not really that worried about space. It also looks like the SSD will be upgradeable in the future as well.

5. roeliepoelie thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, that are some fast replies...
    Thanks
    So the 2.6Ghz with 512GB is not worth the extra 600 dollars...
    It will be better to go with the basic one and upgrade the RAM?

Oh, and one more question, what is the difference between the MBretina Flash memory to the MB SSD memory. or is it the same?

Thank you all

6. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Depending on your usage, 256GB might not be enough. I would get the higher end model because of the storage. Again, it's a damn shame you can't just upgrade the storage yourselves. Greedy ol' Apple.

7. pfloyd macrumors newbie

i have some questions. can somebody explain in what circumstance somebody would want the 2.6 over the 2.3ghz? also, are there any cons to using an external hardrive to make up for the lack of memory?

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'd get the 2.6 w/ 16GB RAM - But that will but you in the bleachers price wise... If you want to have some extra cash, just go for the base...

9. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Exactly what I'd recommend, unless you wanna flex your nerd peen like me and go for the 2.7. :D

10. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Retina is amazing, only if you will make a great use of it. 16Gig of Ram is def a good idea! You will hardly notice the processor difference.

11. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I personally went for the 2.7, so yes, like you... :p