New 15" mbp already having overheating issues??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The PCMag interview (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2332514,00.asp) says that the MBP had some overheating problems (paragraph 13, for reference) with the P9500, 2.53Ghz.

Does that mean that the 2.8Ghz (T9600) will have serious heat issues, especially during gaming/watching HD movies?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

The heat issues were found under Vista, I wonder if this is the same under XP.

"The Leopard operating system, on the other hand, does a better job containing heat dissipation, as its energy saver and power management routines are optimized to handle heavier work loads."

3. donbenjy macrumors 6502

wow, really?! I haven't done any CPU intensive stuff yet (2.4GHz), but mine's nowhere near as hot as my Fianceé's 2007 MBP! Or our old MB either...I guess this is probably using the 9600M GT though right? I've done xbench and geekbench and neither got the fan spinning up, or any real heat...odd...

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sounds like a Vista issue, not a MBP issue. We all know Vista is not awell engineered software. But I appreciate you posting this. I was toying with installing Vista on mine but this have convinced me not to play in a condemned building. I'm going to stick with XP on my bootcamp partition.

5. yabai macrumors member

Since Bootcamp was released, all compatible Macs have run hotter when booting Windows. Add to this that he felt the heat only when running the benchmark programs, and there's not much to be shocked about. Positive news: The Benchmark tool pushed the system to the limits in the OS that runs hotter, and nothing glitched, failed, or otherwise physically broke.

6. ptjh macrumors regular

Anyone benched xbenched & geekbenched their new 2.8 GHz MB Pro's yet? Would be awesome to see.

7. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I read the PC Mag review and I think it's a Vista issue as well. Besides, the unibody enclosure should act like one big heatsink anyway.