New 15 mbp-dead pixels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djinn, Jun 26, 2009.

1. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

So I took the plunge and bought a new 15" mbp. Got the 2.8 blah blah. Came home and booted it up to find two maybe three dead pixels in the middle of the screen. One is red and two are gray. I tried using a site to get dead pixels out but didn't work. I scheduled an appointment with the genius tomorrow to see if he can help me out.

Any thoughts?

2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

3. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

4. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

LOL, it takes like 20 seconds to unpack it. You're sending it to a genius bar, not shipping it off, right? ;)

5. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Yeah taking it to the genius. Just call me lazy. I'm replying back on the iPhone (that too has dead pixel).

6. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Well, 3 pixels is BS for such a product. They shouldn't give you trouble exchanging it. Demand a brand new laptop it SHOULD NOT be going out for repair.

7. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

The third one is barely there but if u look close u can see it. Looks like dust under the screen. I had a gut feeling I would had atleast one.:(

8. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

The first uMBP I bought had 1 dead pixel, I took it back and talked to the salesman who sold it to me. I was within my 14 days, so he swapped it for free. Hopefully, this is what will happen for you.

9. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

I can see them saying no cause of one but two right next to each other is kind of lame.

I hope I have the luck u had. The genius guys at my store are nice. With my past experiences atleast.

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

No one even look at or inspected mine. I would try talking to a sales guy first, sometime the Geniuses are picky. If you are within your 14 days, they should defiantly do it.

Good Luck!

11. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

So try to talk to a sales person before the genius?

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Pity it's not Red White and Blue huh :D

anyway.. inside 14days? just return it, ask for an exchange with a nice genius.

13. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I find, if you buy it online at the AppleStore, it's mucho easier to return stuff for minor discrepancies. In store however, you're kinda bogged down with so-called genius and depending on their mood, they might do you a favour! Or not.. if that's the case, you may wish to speak to the store manager!

Personally, I don't see why.. cause.. if they don't change it for you.. You're allowed to demand a refund.

BTW, where are you? UK? Refunds there are 0% Restock.

15. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I can't see any dead pixels in my screen, but then again, I don't spend my time examining the screen to check for these kind of things. However, the Apple Genius people at my location really do a lot for you if you buy them all caramel mocha lattes. (The manager likes caffe mocha) But, in a screen that is basically made of 1,296,000 light bulbs, there should be at least one malfunctioning pixel in the display. Thankfully, I don't see any so mine might be in the corner or somewhere like that.

16. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

I really didn't spend time looking for it. When the inital screen comes up it hit me in the face. So that sparked my wondering eyes. That's how I found the dead pixel.

I'm hoping the genius bar are cool this time like they have been in the past. I didn't complain about my new iPhone 3gs having a stuck pixel.

17. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Yes, that is what worked for me. I saw the same guy who sold me the one with the dead pixel. I talked to him for a minute and told him I loved my new MBP, but it had 1 dead pixel. I asked him what their policy for dead pixels was, he told me to bring it in. I had it waiting in my car, by the time I got back in the store, they had a new one at the counter waiting for me. The sales guy did not even look at the old one. They also threw in a free sleeve.

18. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

So what's the *official* Apple policy on dead pixels and replacement? Does one exist?

19. imacdane macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook pro about 2 weeks ago, and I was a little disappointed when I opened it to find that it had a dead pixel. However, I didn't feel like packing it back up and taking to the Apple Store. I hardly even notice it.

20. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

5 dark pixels
    3 white pixels

combination of both are 7

this is standard for the industry(including apple)

21. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Some people can live with them and some people can't. It has a lot to do with where the dead pixels are as well. Opening up a new Mac and seeing three right in the middle of the screen, is unacceptable IMO.

22. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

That is absolutely not true. Apple has never come out and said what their "official" policy is.

I have never had a problem exchanging products with Apple, for any reason, as long as I was still within the 14 days.

23. 5280m macrumors member

Definitely exchange it, dont let them replace the display.

24. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

There's a say: just because you do not know the law your not expempt by it.

and I bring that because apple's policy for us technicians in ordered to exchange lcd for dead pixels are described by Knowledge Base article 112125: Service Diagnostics Matrix, has the LCD Tester Diagnostic Utility that will generate these patterns on the screen.

Using a jeweler’s loupe, pocket microscope, or other magnifying device, identify and count each pixel anomaly:
    • Bright subpixel anomaly = subpixel that is always on
    • Dark subpixel anomaly = subpixel that is always off

The number of acceptable pixel anomalies for this system is:

Acceptable Number of Subpixel Anomalies:
    Bright Up to 3
    Dark Up to 5
    Combination Up to 7

If the number of subpixel anomalies exceeds the acceptable number listed in the above chart, replace the display panel assembly.

Bright 4 or more
    Dark 6 or more
    Combination 8 or more
    If the number of subpixel anomalies is acceptable, explain to the customer that the pixel anomalies are within specifications, and no repair is necessary.

Important: Do not release the specifications to customers. Instead, inform them that a certain
    number of subpixel anomalies are considered acceptable, and these factors apply to all
    manufacturers using LCD technology—not just Apple products.

When speaking with customers, please use the following explanation:
    Active-matrix LCD technology uses rows and columns of addressable locations (pixels) that
    render text and images on screen. Each pixel location has three separate subpixels (red, green,
    and blue) that allow the image to be rendered in full color. Each subpixel has a corresponding
    transistor responsible for turning the subpixel on or off.

There are typically millions of these subpixels on an LCD display. For example, the LCD panel used
    in the Apple Cinema HD display is made up of 2.3 million pixels and 6.9 million red, green, and
    blue subpixels. Occasionally, a transistor does not work perfectly, which may result in the affected
    subpixel being turned on (bright) or turned off (dark). With the millions of subpixels on a display,
    it is quite possible to have a low number of faulty transistors on an LCD. Therefore, a certain
    number of subpixel anomalies are considered acceptable. Rejecting all but perfect LCD panels
    would significantly increase the retail price for products using LCD displays. These factors apply
    to all manufacturers using LCD technology—not just Apple products.

25. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

There's a way to circumvent this OP if you want a new computer call 1-800-my apple and speak to the reps and tell them about everything and make them give you a case number to replace the machine. If they do then the geniuses may be able to elevate the case in applecare so they can be given a yes to replace the notebook, perfectly circumventing the knowledge base article.

all of this is if apple care says yes...