New 15" MBP Frame Seems More Brittle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by horation, Oct 27, 2013.

1. horation macrumors member

My old 15" MBP (Snow Leopard) was a bit heavier and thicker, but I was never afraid to carry it around one handed. But with the new thinner model (just released version on Maverick), I've heard some noises that give me pause. It sounds like something might snap when I pick it up one-handed on the right side (the balance point is over the SD Card slot).

Anyone else noticing how fragile the new frame seems to be? Anyone have problems with the frame cracking or breaking due to this?

2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

If you do a search on this forum, you'll find numerous threads about the creaking sounds:
    rMBP creaking, what's going on?
    New Macbook Pro retina - case creaking sound
    rMBP Case Popping
    rMBP making a creaking noise from the case
    Anyone else's RMBP creaky when typing on your lap or desk?

The frame creaks and flexes, but I wouldn't worry about it being brittle. It will handle as much use as the old MBP.

3. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

Yeah mine did that too, using a pentalobe for me fixed it right away. I could feel the bottom was a little loose on one end.

4. horation thread starter macrumors member

5. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

The number of threads on this forum is huge, and makes searching a chore. I would not have found the threads so easily, had I not read a couple of them about a year ago when getting my own rMBP :)