new 15" mbp horrible battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fineaddme, Mar 10, 2011.

1. fineaddme macrumors regular

hi all just got my first mbp and my 15" has really bad battery life

i am not sure if i can take it back to bestbuy and ask for a replacement since i bought it just 2 days ago

and yes i already tried calibrating the battery and also fully charged it

i even tried using my cousins charger since he got a 15" last week as well and its not a defective charger

i am not even getting 3hrs on a full charge

i have the brightness set to just below half way, barely any youtube

i first noticed the bad battery life when i had my mbp fully charged and was only typing up a school report and then noticed it was about 11% left after just under 2 hrs on a full charge

so please advice on what i should do

2. Locodice macrumors regular

3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Take it back, only 2 days old. I am getting over 6 hrs of web browsing and document typing with mine. That's with screen at near full brightness.

4. fineaddme thread starter macrumors regular

i think i will try and get it replaced at bestbuy

anyone know if they will replace it since its only 2days old? or will they try and "fix" it?

5. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

I second this (not at all because I wrote it :)). 7 hours is not the average battery life that you should see. If you're running applications that require the discrete GPU, and it's constantly running rather than your integrated GPU, you should understand what's causing that to happen. gfxCardStatus (the linked tool above) will help. I'd definitely try that before taking it back to Best Buy.

Cody

6. eaf7s macrumors regular

Actually mine was pretty ****** today. Brand new 13" and I barely got 3 1/2 - 4 hours of web browsing/low-volume music listening and document typing. That's nearly what the battery on my 3 year old MBP was giving me.

7. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

That's strange, considering the 13" doesn't have a discrete GPU to waste a ton of battery on. Maybe check your battery health?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery life is dependent on many factors, such as screen brightness, WiFi, bluetooth, what apps/processes/widgets you have running, etc. Calibrate your battery to make sure your readings are accurate.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

9. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

If you're not satisfied with your computer then I'd recommend exchanging or returning it simply because you'll regret not doing so months down the road which is never good.

I believe Best Buy's return policy is 14 days from the date of purchase, so you should be able to simply exchange it. Just make sure you take it in with all of the original packaging and your sales receipt to make the process go as smoothly as possible.

Best of luck! :)

10. eaf7s macrumors regular

Battery is healthy. Wi-fi was in use, bluetooth was off. Will look into it further tomorrow. It's not a huge issue for me though as I rarely go anywhere with my computer and without an adapter.

11. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

fuzzy....you have 14 days to take any computer back to bestbuy,no questioned asked.......take it back and demand another one.....simple.

12. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

That wont fix it.

I'm getting around 4 hours in Bootcamp on W7, whilst downloading via wifi, and with the screen on full brightness, so its most likely a bad battery.

On OSX side of things, I dont notice much of a difference in battery life either when comparing a full charge expired on discrete and a full charge expired on integrated graphics.