New 15" MBP - LCD 27th week 2007 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanrul, Jun 22, 2008.

1. ryanrul macrumors member

I just bought a new MBP 15", and unfortunately the lcd suffers from the murky yellow tinting at the bottom that many people have reported. i opened up the color profile and it turns out i have a 9C82 which i believe is a Chei Mei display which is known to be the worst for the yellow tinting.

The manufacture date is C2ADF080 which i don't know how to decode, but when i ran SwitchResX it told me that the lcd panel was made in the 27th week of 2007. Can this be right? Would apple be shipping panels known to be problematic from a year ago?

I've read plenty of posts here, and it seemed like everyone who was buying the latest MBPs were getting screens made in 2008.

2. johngardiner macrumors regular

I've got that display and date too and I just bought mine about a month ago. Mine doesn't have any problems with yellow tinting though

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

where are you seeing "manufactured date" in SwitchResX?

All i see is 9c81, my MBP was bought mar2008.

4. ryanrul thread starter macrumors member

The OS X color sync utility has C2ADF080 as the manufacture date which i don't know how to read.

SwitchResX says the lcd lanel was made in week 27 of 2007.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

have 9C82 aswell, but my display looks great!

as for manufacture date, i wouldnt worry about it, and if the yellow tint bothers you, take it to an apple store

6. ryanrul thread starter macrumors member

thanks.

I'm more curious than concerned about the manufacture date of the lcd (i don't care when the panel was made as long as it works properly - which unfortunately it doesn't so i have to return it).

But i'm still wondering ... is it normal for year old panels to show up in the current stock of laptops or is it a fluke? In other threads it seemed like everyone was talking about their panels being built this year.

7. ryanrul thread starter macrumors member

thanks.

I'm really more curious than concerned about the manufacture date of the lcd (i don't care when the panel was made as long as it works properly - which unfortunately it doesn't so i have to return it).

But i'm still wondering ... is it normal for year old panels to show up in the current stock of laptops or is it a fluke? In other threads it seemed like everyone was talking about their panels being built this year.

8. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

i'm wondering the same thing too. i 'custom configured' a macbook pro witha glossy screen and the serial number of the laptop says it was made in the 24th week of 2008. this means the computer was made in may even though i ordered it in late june. i'm very confused.

9. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Apple never acknowledged the extremely widespread yellowing problem, which means that it absolutely does not exist, no way, no how. Only those problems recognized by Apple are actual problems. All other Apple products are absolutely perfect in every conceivable way. Just ask any Apple store employee.

So yes, they'll ship bad panels until panel specs change or they run out.

10. ryanrul thread starter macrumors member

Well i swapped the faulty MBP for a new unit today (but only after a bit of a battle in the apple store) and the new unit has the exact same lcd panel from last june with the same murky yellow tint at the bottom. But with the added bonus of a lot more bleed along the bottom of the screen and a case that gets MUCH hotter during normal use than the previous unit.

sigh.
    this is ridiculous.

11. PDE macrumors 68020

I've had quite a few MacBook pros this year and they all had displays made last year the lgs were made at the beginning of the year, the chimeis were made in the middle of 2007 and the auos I had was made in late 2007. The samsung I have now, I think, has a mid-2007 display. No 2008 displays.

12. ryanrul thread starter macrumors member