New 15" MBP Lid/Screen concern

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Javaman74, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Javaman74 macrumors member

My new MBP arrived last Monday, and I am loving it so far. The only thing that I am slightly concerned about is the lid. When closed and latched, it does not sit flush all the way around. At both corners, there is enough space that you could probably slip a piece of gum between the body and screen. You can press on the corners and bring them together, but they separate when you let go.

Having never owned a MBP I just wondered if this was something I should be concerned about or if it is perfectly normal. I've heard of people having problems with screens warping, and didn't know if this might be the first sign of something like that, or if I'm just being overly nervous. Thanks.

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

It's normal. I've seen it on MBPs since they were introduced.

MacDann

3. Deadaim357 macrumors member

Deadaim357

I have a SR 2.2 and yes mine does this too on my right side. Its normal don't worry about it.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

Regrettably, this is just how they are. there is some variation but, by and large, they all have it. Nothing to worry about . If it bothers you, you can put some small pieces of tape or rubber with adhesive in the corners to stop it from moving when you pick it up. There are some products available commercially too - from radtech I think.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Actually even in powerbook's

6. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Mine does the same thing and I know it's common, but I'm just wondering...why is it acceptable? I've never had this problem with any of my PC laptops. I mean, by no means does this mean I'm switching back, but still...shouldn't it be addressed? :confused:

7. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

The screen gap is a common problem with most MBP's. I had the same with mine. What model did you get? I just sold mine and am getting a 2.5 tomorrow. There is a good product radtech sells for the screen gap...used it with my last one.http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx

8. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

You will probably notice that the problem is way less when the computer is cold. Once the aluminum heats up, it is more noticeable.

Very normal for this computer although some people have been successful at having their computers replaced by Apple if the defect is excessive.

9. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Thank you for the Radtech information. I just ordered a set for my MBP.:D

10. Javaman74 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses. I can at least relax and enjoy it now, knowing that this isn't something abnormal. Thanks for the link also, interesting looking product.