New 15" MBP vibrations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReallyBigFeet, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I just got my new 15" i7 MBP yesterday. It has the 7200 RPM option.

I've noticed a steady vibration under my right hand/wrist just to the right of the trackpad. This is constant....its not limited to just those times when the hard drive is spinning.

Anyone notice this? I won't say its enough to be annoying, but it is different. I never noticed this on my older non-unibody MBP but then again that area contained the Superdrive in the past. This feels like either a hard disk spinning or a fan turning...can't tell which.

2. treestar macrumors 6502

that is your hard disk spinning. there is no fan there. i have a new 13" mbp and noticed the same thing. i replaced the stock disk (5200) with an ssd and the vibration is gone. the hard disk doesn't usually go idle.

3. kunfunyu macrumors member

i have the exact same comp, didn't notice that until you just mentioned it. deifnitely a little vibration, but nothing too major on mine.

4. ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Actually, I did just happen to notice that Spotlight was running. Now this is funny...on my old MBP (2007), Spotlight running would cause a major CPU overload for awhile...fans would be screaming, 95%+ CPU usage along with MDS, etc. With my new MBP, I didn't have any of the "obvious" signs that Spotlight was running. As soon as it stopped, the vibrations stopped. LOL.

5. AcesOverKings macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I have the same vibration issue in the same location. It's noticeable, and like most things, gets more annoying the more you fixate on it.

I'm in absolute gadget lust with this new laptop, so I'm loathe to return it or fuss with Apple over what could be "working as intended."

If I can be convinced that it's the hard drive (makes sense), I may just suck it up until SSD prices come down a bit and then upgrade in 6-12 months or so. Maybe sooner if I find that the vibrations increase fatigue and discomfort during long work sessions, which I fear may be the case.

6. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

I just gave the laptop to my girlfriend. She said it wasn't enough vibration, so I shouldn't worry.

7. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I also bought the i7 15". I replaced the stock HD with a 7200 rpm unit, and immediately noticed an increased (and annoying) vibration in the exact same spot. This was so noticeable, that I took the 7200 rpm drive out, swapped back in a large capacity 5400 rpm drive (640 GB WD), and the vibration disappeared.

For my money, these aluminum chassis MBPs have the potential to transmit too-much vibration from the high-speed drives. Not worth the small performance increase IMHO. Besides, I'll go SSD once decent sized drives come down to reasonable prices.

8. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I kind of like the vibration. Sort of a calming effect. ;)

9. johnnymike24 macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

I have a new 2.53 i5 15" with a 7200 RPM HD and I must say that I do not notice any excessive vibrations from the HD at all. The only time I can even hear the hard drive spinning (unless I actually put my ear to the machine, of course) is when the MBP is first turned on and the HD initially spins up. You might want to take your new MBP to a genius at the Apple Store and have them check it out b/c I have not experienced anything similar to what you are describing.

10. Hooksta macrumors member

Like Johnny, I also have the 2.53 i5 15" HR 500gb 7200 rpm hd and my vibration/noise experience is just as he described....mostly none existent.

11. mark28 macrumors 68000

Same, I'll just settle with the stock HDD and an external HDD. I'll put a SSD later from Intel in it :)

12. jwheeler macrumors regular

Giggidy

Lol

13. ApplePu macrumors regular

Which 7200rpm drive is installed in you mbps? is it hitachi or seagate?