New 15' MBP vs what exactly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kulfon, May 30, 2015.

1. Kulfon macrumors regular

I want to upgrade my 4 year old Samsung Chronos 7 laptop and I was hoping for a MBP with a new chip,which did not happen. So the option is the refreshed MBP or something else with Windows. I only need it for Photoshop as I do Photography. Do you know what are the other option? Maybe other laptops have better screens, more RAM? What is the best option in the market today? Thanks!

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Personally I think the Asus UX501 if just for the powerful cooling system it has. Also available in Gamer colors as G501. As far as I can see they are basically the same units.
    The PCIe SSD versions are expensive but they really aren't needed. Everything that makes a SSD system fast you already got with a standard SSD (which is upgradable M2 form factor) and you wouldn't notice the difference.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenBook-Pro-UX501JW-Notebook-Review.142308.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Asus/UX501JW-DS71T/P5070071.jpg

Battery life could be better but in all other respects it is really good and the non PCIe version relatively cheap.

3. nStyle, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015

nStyle macrumors 6502a

XPS 15? Has 4K display.

[edit] Nvm - Didn't realize that thing was still on the 750M. If I were buying today, I definitely wouldn't get the Dell. It's more expensive too...

The Asus just mentioned - might want to do a lot of research: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232453 (only 2 reviews, but doesn't sound promising).

You really can't go wrong with the peace of mind of buying what you already know is the best or as good as anything else (rMBP).

4. Kulfon thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. This Asus has a 4K screen and is as powerful as MBP and is 1000 USD cheaper. Where is the catch?

5. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

This computer is very close to a rMBP, and lets be honest, the display has a higher rez. rMBP is 3K this is 4K. rMBP has a faster CPU option but this has a 960m that's better than the rMBP GPU. So why is it cheaper? Three reasons.

The biggest is that its not using PCIe SSD. PCIe SSD is crazy expensive. If you look for it on amazon the closest one to the 512GB matching the read/wright you can get in the rMBP is $699.

The next thing is that it has 1 more thunderbolt port than it does, that's going to add probably $40.

The rest of it is that fact that its Apple, i.e. design cost. I've said it before, Apple is largely a design company, granted a electronics design company but design none the less. This causes things to cost more than they may technically be worth. However, they look and perform amazingly so that's a conclusion you would have to make on your own :)

6. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

The Asus is a PCIE SSD. Not 2,000mbps like Apple, only at 1,400mbps but still a ton faster than traditional ssd.

7. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Sadly that increase the price gap lol. It only has two reviews and neither of them are good. just a big price gap. I wish I had something better to say. As I had said before a large part is the design factor, but this is what makes it hard to buy "Macs" sometimes. There are similar looking products that cost less and have high specs but run windows. I have been in and out of this boat for years lol. Don't get me wrong, I have always had a working Mac or three, and Macs are still my main computer. However if games come into play, I can't say buying a Mac is a good idea :(. I bought a maxed rMBP 15in recently, For that same price I could have gotten a PC with better memory, fast cpu, two GPUs that each one by itself is faster than the m370x. But it would have been bulky and not very portable. This PC you listed is very similar to the MBP and the GPU is better. But it doesn't run the Mac OS. If you were getting it for gaming I would say do it, or maybe a similar one as the reviews are not that good. But if this is your main computer, the Mac OS is a large selling point.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The sad thing technically a PCIe SSD isn't expensive at all to Asus or Apple. It is just a feature that sounds flashy and they make it cost. The PCIe SSD should really be the default but in any case it 2000MB/s sounds good but in reality it means very little performance advantage over just a standard sata 3 ssd. It does make much of a difference in practice.

The main reason the Apple costs more is because Apple can ask for such a high price not because there is any sensible reason for it. Design cost? seriously. Design cost amortizes quickly and Apple has the volume to make that non issue.
    Apple can ask for that price and so they do. You don't have an alternative on OSX. Asus has to compete with lots of other notebooks.

The main thing I don't quite understand is the not so great battery life. It is still reasonable but should be higher. Samsung does a better job on theirs.
    But the Ativ Book 8 like the Dell XPS is still on old tech. Ativ book 9 or whatever they will call it will be a contender (in the slim 15" category) when it shows up to the party.
    To me the cooling system of the Asus seems great. Even under load that seems to stay relatively quite and keep everything actually cool, which means higher turbo speeds and likely better CPU performance than what the MBP offers if just by a small bit.

9. Kulfon thread starter macrumors regular

So realistically speaking it is either Dells XPS 15, Asus that we talked above and rMBP? Dell and Asus will come with 4K monitors and the rest willbe more or less similar. Dell will cost similar to MBP and Asus is 1000$ cheaper.....

Hard to say which way to go...........

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well there are others but there aren't that many in the slim allround category.
    There is also the MSI GS60 which is basically a slim gaming notebook (970M) but not very cheap. There is an MSI GS70 if it may be slightly bigger. The GS70 is a bit more reasonable with the 960M and price wise relatively cheap.
    There are plenty thicker notebooks and some workstations with high end displays.

I think the Asus is just the best at the moment. At least the one I would want if I was in the market now. I will probably wait for HBM mobile GPUs to exchange mine for something new.

11. Kulfon thread starter macrumors regular

Saw the review of Dell XPS and Asus 4K. They looks nice, but I still prefer the MBP. With Dell, the difference is Retina vs 4K screen, btu I read that for photography Retina has better color accuracy. This is what I read. I think I am going to go with MBP.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

To be honest I'd say the rMBP is still currently the best all round laptop for price, size, weight, battery life, power trade off you make with all laptops. If you want to game a lot there are better options but other than that they just can't be beat.

13. Kulfon thread starter macrumors regular

No gaming at all, just Photoshop and Photo editing.