New 15" previous gen MBP, color depth and saturation issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tivoboy, Dec 14, 2008.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Howdy all,

well, setting up the latest purchase. Yes, I went with the previous gen model since I wanted the matte screen (and saved like 600$+)

I was checking out some DVDS and movie trailers just to test the screen and all (I have the Samsung screen on this guy, I guess that is good)

I have tried the current generic lcd color profile, and the adobe (which looks better IMHO) to get a bit more color detail, but on things like the videos and movie trailers, the color depth is a bit thin.

Is there a way to A: Test this, and B: change it?

Is that all done with the color profiles? I have seen the threads with lots of attachments, I guess I can just try them out.

Is this the path to changing contrast and color saturation on this model?

thanks for the tips
    tB

2. kolax macrumors G3

I always adjust the gamma to "TV gamma" to give deeper richer colours. That's all I change.

3. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

If I were you, I'd search the forums for someone who posted a profile for your screen model. I have the 9C81 and someone had done a Spyder calibration of it and it looks 1,000 times better.

So, check around for your model.

4. The General macrumors 601

Gah... Colour profiles aren't some thing you can just trade around. You need to calibrate your LCD based on your specific piece of hardware. Different LCDs even of the same model can look somewhat different.

Just go to System Preferences -> Display -> Colour and calibrate it yourself ... Make sure you use expert mode.

Adobe RGB (1998) is NOT a colour profile you're supposed to use for your display, it's a colour space for imaging. Mac OS X puts all colour profiles in the same spot, so they inconveniently show up in System Preferences so you can use them for your display.

You can't just get one from somebody else on the forum and expect it to look nice. It doesn't work like that.

5. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

It'll sure look better than what you have in the first place. And, the color calibration built into OSX isn't exactly phenomenal. The shared profile is AT LEAST a place to start.