New 15" Retina Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starbuckpga, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Starbuckpga macrumors regular

Got one on the way and curious to know if I am likely to get the Samsung screen or the LG screen. Is there one I should be on the lookout for and stay away from? As soon as I get it I will check it out, but if I read correctly, I will want to get the Samsung screen correct?

I am also curious to know which SSD I will get. Hopefully it's the Samsung 840 series as well.

Thanks Apple experts!

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The biggest favor you can do yourself is not to check. If if gets image retention, go and get it fixed, but people in these parts seem to think it's normal to play the return for replacement lottery until getting one with a Samsung screen, which I find ludicrous.

Also, the Samsung drives are based off the 830 series, not 840, and there's no performance difference between that and the Sandisk alternative so that's not something to worry about.

3. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I'm not overly worried on the screen. It is what it is I guess.

I went with 8GB of memory and may opt to upgrade it to 16GB in a few months if needed when I test it out.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you want to get the 16GB upgrade, you better return it fast.
    You probably know but the rMBP RAM is not user replaceable.

5. walkie macrumors 6502

You won't be able to upgrade RAM memory since it is soldered on the retina model, so if you think you'll need more than 8Gb just buy the 16Gb model.

6. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

Ah yes that's right. I was thinking like it was my older model where I could upgrade the memory.

The 8GB will be just fine, since it has 1GB dedicated for video.

7. ColdCase, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I read here that only the 768 upgrade drive models are currently shipping with the Samsung drive (SM768E). All others sandisk.

This site says the apple version performs better than both the 840 and 830.... and we all know you can believe everything we read on the internet :)

http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd.php?hdd=APPLE+SSD+SM768E

8. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Memory ram and GPU ram are two different horses... You won't be stealing resources from on to the other. Basic rule of thumb, if you're just doing basic computing stuck with 8GB if you're doing graphics work or games 16 all the way.

9. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

What do you plan on doing?

In a couple of years you might need 16GB RAM (if you want your machine to last for 3-5 years).

10. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not a heavy gamer. I might play a few when I get bored during the winter months, but nothing crazy. However I'd think 8GB and 1GB of video would be plenty for the games I play.

If anything, I'd play some COD on something and that is about it. Maybe some EA Sports games every now and then.

11. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

What does your typical application load look like?

12. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

If you really plan on using it for a few years definitely go for the 16GB like others have recommended. You really won't regret it. If funds are an issue consider holding off or go with the cMBP. Then you could upgrade at your leisure.

13. Kushp14 macrumors regular

Your paying over 2k, why not ...

14. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Because exhibiting OCD-like behavior over a piece of equipment not only does not contribute to your enjoyment of it, it actively hinders it?

Your experience with the computer's visual output is by definition subjective. If you don't notice an issue, there is no issue. It's not like hearing a noise on your car and ignoring it- it's entirely a matter of perception.

And if you do perceive a problem, get it fixed. You're 100x more likely to recieve a Samsung as a replacement for a repair than you are randomly exchanging the computer time after time.