Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ponytrekker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Quad core 2.8 i7 w 1 tb ssd.

Good for desktop replacement?

Any problem running garage band multitrack?

Replacing 2 year old base model iMac.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
depends on how powerful you need the computer to be.

i can tell my macbook pro 2.3ghz i7 is about 40-60% the strength of my desktop.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

I wouldn't necessarily expect better performance from the MBP. Not sure though, you can check geekbench...

The other thing, the MBP will produce fan noise, much more than an iMac. And closer to your ears.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
I've always been very hesitant about using the phrase "desktop replacement" because nothing replaces the power current desktop except future laptops.

You're machine should surely last you until the next decade, especially given the price ;)

Natzoo

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Thats one power house there for a mac. If only they had updated graphics such as gt 860M that the lenovo yoga has.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I wouldn't necessarily expect better performance from the MBP. Not sure though, you can check geekbench...

The other thing, the MBP will produce fan noise, much more than an iMac. And closer to your ears.

Mine runs virtually silent most of the time.

OP, it's an absolute beast.

----------

How much memory did you get?

All Mid '14 15" Retina MBPs have 16GB of RAM.

Natzoo

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
get the 16gb of ram, i know it isnt needed. But for 200 i would get it.

Natzoo

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
whops i remember from the late 13 that it had a 8gb base model lol. Im a year behind :D

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013

It's a beast for a laptop but a common desktop i7 4790K at stock speeds will outperform it. Overclock that desktop i7 to 4.6 GHz then it'll leave that rmbp to dust. Also, don't forget the enthusiast desktop will have 8 cores at 4.5 GHz overclock i7 5960X and still cost less than the maxed out rmbp. dGPU is also on the low end. Then again, they can't run garage band unless they hackintosh their desktops.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010

Personally, that's what I'm doing because I can wait. My Air isn't on its last legs. If you're in the same boat, where you can wait, maybe you should. If you need a computer, then obviously get the current model ASAP.

One benefit to waiting is that they may be a tad cheaper come summertime. Apple has been pretty good about dropping prices year over year with new models and if they do it again this year, you have choice of buying a Broadwell Pro for less money than a Haswell one today or buy a Haswell one for a good bit less in the Sunmer than now

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC

This is what I got. With the dedicated GPU. Best computer I ever owned. Can handle Garage Band with no issues. I run iMovie rendering 4k video and play Civilization V at the same time. I would think that's impressive.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
depends on how powerful you need the computer to be.

i can tell my macbook pro 2.3ghz i7 is about 40-60% the strength of my desktop.

The OP was comparing to a base imac. Two years ago means it was most likely an ivy bridge model. Haswell was marginally faster, although probably not enough for most people to tell. The difference between those two is trivial to non-existent. The notebook may be slightly faster. Your desktop and the OP's are obviously different here. For a valid comparison you would have to mention the exact specifications of each, which means more than saying 2.3ghz i7. There are several years and models that align with that label.

That's up to you, but there is no guarantee that you'll see an update in June. Look at the official shipping dates of components such as cpus, specifically those that you expect would be included. Apple typically ships within 2-3 months from that time. Sometimes it happens faster. It rarely exceeds that 3 month barrier.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
The OP was comparing to a base imac. Two years ago means it was most likely an ivy bridge model. Haswell was marginally faster, although probably not enough for most people to tell. The difference between those two is trivial to non-existent. The notebook may be slightly faster. Your desktop and the OP's are obviously different here. For a valid comparison you would have to mention the exact specifications of each, which means more than saying 2.3ghz i7. There are several years and models that align with that label.
OG mid-2012 retina MBP 15" with a i7-???? 2.3Ghz (3.3Ghz turbo)

Desktop is a Hackintosh i7-5820k OC'd to 4.4Ghz turbo.

GPUs are 650M v 980.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
OG mid-2012 retina MBP 15" with a i7-???? 2.3Ghz (3.3Ghz turbo)

Desktop is a Hackintosh i7-5820k OC'd to 4.4Ghz turbo.

GPUs are 650M v 980.

Yeah that would definitely outperform the macbook pro in any demanding task. The OP uses a base imac, which regardless of whether it was sandy or ivy wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful. The notebook in his case is probably a bit faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.