New 15" rMBP in refurbished store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diamond3, Jan 12, 2014.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I just noticed the new October 2013 retina MacBook pros showed up in the refurbished store. I've been watching them for a while and I think this is the first.

$1699 for base model
    $2199 for high model with 750m

Now to decide if I upgrade? I can return early 2013 for $2000 with a 16gb/512gb SSD.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Dang. That's pretty good

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What do you mean?

6. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Most definitely they are.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

8. commac macrumors regular

Amazing savings... Not yet available in Canada. I feel like a sucker.

9. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Chances are my 1st late 2013 15" MBPr with the 750M chip is one of them for sale, with a new logic board. The Apple Store gave me a brand new one after any & every Thunderbolt drive I plugged in would randomly unmount/remount itself pretty regularly. It would kill Time Machine backups, iTunes playback, etc.

Hopefully a new board fixed those issue for the new owner.

10. jkcerda, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Considering canceling my recent order that shipped to Germany Instead of the U.S & just get latest & greatest

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

12. jesuisdanny macrumors newbie

Damn, would have got this! I just got a brand new Early 2013 base 15" rMBP for $1300 though, but haven't been too happy with the lag.

13. Quackers macrumors 6502a

There have been enough of them returned with dodgy screens and creaking hinges and God knows what else. I'm surprised it took this long to see their appearance as refurbs :eek:

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Refurbs should be fixed of those issues , cancelled my order. Going to wait a bit & get the newer one

15. Quackers macrumors 6502a

The originals shouldn't have had those issues at all.

16. Robotoki macrumors newbie

Yeah, I dont trust refurb at all.

Even if the original problem "might've been" solved, that still means that laptop had some kind of issue in the beginning.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your sentiment is not the consensus here, though I understand where you're coming from.

My totally unscientific research showed more positive results here when someone bought a refurb then a negative but I get what you're saying and to be honest that concern would be forefront if I was considering a refurb as well.

18. nealh macrumors 6502

I have a refurb 13in from 2012. No issues. I get same 1 yr warranty and bought Applecare. I have no worries and will buy refurb again.

I have no idea what they do to them but mine looked brand new with 3 cycles on the battery. It was if the person had buyer's remorse???

19. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Pretty sure you'll get a non-uniform yellow tinted display or suffering from image retention... good luck!

20. iamthedudeman, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

FYI Apple refurbs are 'better' than new.

They don't send out the same laptop with the same issue, hence the name 'refurb'.

When apple gets a return, they first replace the casing. Weather it was damaged or not. Each casing already has a new serial number. The insides of the old laptop (desktop etc) get installed into the new casing minus the defective part, that is replaced new. Each refurb is put together by hand, not a factory line.

Furthermore each refurb is tested and checked.

As opposed a new one coming off the line may or may not be checked. They ( new) are checked in "lots", for example 1 out of every 100.

A new laptop (desktop) is more likely to have issues than a refurb. Yes you heard that right.

So you can buy a refurb laptop (desktop) that has been put together by hand and tested and checked and save money or buy a laptop (desktop) that comes off the line and may or may not be checked and pay more money. Hmmmm. Hard decision.

Dont hesitate to buy refurb. It is better.

21. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Except the screen, which Apple considers being "under specs" even if it shows signs of color bleeding or image retention.

22. GoBengals, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

GoBengals macrumors newbie

i would never buy a refurb airport extreme or time capsule or anything with minimal parts that could be wrong, but a macbook pro, where if it was something small, its an easy easy easy fix, and if its something large, then the majority of the parts have been replaced with new one, so in either instance, im cool with it.

my macbook pro 15" unibody late 2008, was a refurb, and has lasted 5 years without a hitch. always been a great machine.

i wouldnt hesitate getting another.

frankly, you should know almost immediately if it has some sort of issue when you get it. and it has the same warranty. so you are covered either way...

23. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

All aspects of the laptop (desktop) faulty parts for which they were returned are replaced, period. That includes screens.

A new machine is more likely to have a faulty screen than a refurb.

24. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Did you read my post? Apple doesn't recognize yellowing and retention unless you complain about that. So it's natural that returned retina laptops will be untouched since the customer returned the machine without any issue that Apple considers malfunctioning or defect.

25. nealh macrumors 6502

I hear what u say but I would chance a refurb. Easy to return it and save a nice bit of money