new 15" rMBP taking for ever to load pages

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Clark, Dec 28, 2013.

1. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

I've had it for over a week, and for some reason it's starting to take minutes to open SOME pages. It comes and then goes back to normal again but it's worrying me. Since I've owned it I have never let it run out of battery, could this be a problem? I've only installed two other pieces of software and I know they're both safe. Any ideas as to what's causing this?

2. Shmanky macrumors regular

3. laurenashley macrumors regular

laurenashley

I actually have some of the same issues. I have a 13' MBP (not retina) and I have had it since August. Recently (definitely AFTER updating to Mavericks), I have experienced all my internet browsers to just stop working after awhile or just be stuck loading forever and it will load eventually sometimes. I have learned a couple of ways to temporarily fix it such as resetting safari (Apple customer service told me that one), restarting completely, and emptying caches on safari or whatever browser I am using. I know it is not my internet because my Twitter app works perfectly with the internet, just my browsers. I am sick of dealing with this and needing to pause my internet surfing just to reset everything! So if anyone knows what is going on with both of us, please let us know!

4. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

I'd prefer to use Safari since retina is optimized for it. However when it starts acting up I will be sure to test Chrome.

----------

This is just a general question but does your screen go dark for the first second when a new page is loading then quickly return to normal ?

5. laurenashley macrumors regular

laurenashley

No, what happens is it turns white to load and I notice the blue in the url bar freezes at around the 25% mark every single time it happens. It may go dark, I just haven't noticed it if it has.

6. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

Yeah, mine freezes there too. I'm just hoping it's nothing serious.

7. laurenashley macrumors regular

laurenashley

I've already contacted apple about it and they didn't seem to be frantic when I told them, they just told me to do things I've already done to temporarily fix it. The girl said that "cookies get confusing and mixed up" and that's why it happens, but I am not buying it because this hasn't happened until recently and now I reset safari once an hour because it stops working so often.

8. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

Just a quick little update

The issue has resolved itself and I never found out what was causing it, but I did clear an application off of my computer which seemed to help.. Maybe it was installed incorrectly? Who knows?

Anyway that's the end of that.

9. zaxdude macrumors regular

By the description, I experienced a similar occurrence. Was driving me nuts....

I"m not sure where I found the info, but it suggested I make the following change:

Access System Preferences > Network > Advanced > TCIP/IP

Within the above, there's a setting for "Configure IPv6". It's likely set to Automatic. Change it to "Link-local only".

Ever since I made this change, I have had ZERO issues with websites loading.

Hope this helps....

10. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Fingers-crossed on this. This has been driving my batty on my new 13" rMBP.
    What happens for me is that any Internet-enabled apps stop working for a minute or two, at sporadic intervals (perhaps days without issue, then a few times an hour). All the while, I'm able to connect to the router admin page, and other devices on the network are fine. The fix has been a wifi restart.

OP and others, does that problem fit what you're experiencing?

I spent a good while with Apple support, and they weren't able to suggest much beyond deleting and re-creating the wifi network setting, which didn't help.

11. iamfredrik macrumors member

I had a similar issue after installing the latest Mavericks update. Repairing disk permissions fixed the problem.

12. ohbrilliance, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

The IPV6 setting hasn't helped. Fingers crossed again on disk permissions..

Edit: one day after fixing disk permissions, and this problem hasn't happened again. Touch wood.

13. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

14. Rbk23 macrumors member

I had this happen and I found out it was the anti-virus software I had installed, which I believe was Sophos Anti Virus. One of the 2 programs didn't happen to be an antivirus?

edit-what's with all these old ass threads getting bumped..

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's the infamous Mavericks' failed ARP causing network drops.