New 15in macbook pro vs Mid 2009 17in macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Outsource, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Outsource macrumors newbie

I am looking at getting a new macbook pro for school. I able to get either the 17 inch 2.8 Core 2 Duo macbook pro or the new 15 inch 2.4 i5 macbook pro. Size is not a big issue for me. Both machines are close in price so that is not an issue either the 17 inch is actually around $150 less. I was just curious to hear other people opinion on which would be better. I know the i5 is better but the graphic card on the 17 is double that of the 15 so I wasn't sure how much total performance difference there would be.

I am using it for school while I am at Ohio State for graphic design.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would go for the 15" with the i5 processor, it will be faster, both the processor and the graphics card are better with the new 15".

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I agree with above poster. Even though the graphics has more memory in the 17" that you are looking at, that doesn't mean that it is necessarily better. The graphics card in the 15" is noticeably better, and the extra graphics memory isn't really necessary. The processor is also better in the 15", so that's helpful, especially with graphics design.

P.S. I like your school ;)