New 15in MBP has a dead pixel - advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rick98761, Mar 10, 2011.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

So I've had my new 15inch MBP for a few days and now all the sudden I have a dead (black) pixel smack in the middle of the screen. I can't take my eyes off it. Will Apple likely replace this for me? Bummer is it was a CTO model with the 7200rpm hdd and high res screen, so it's not like I can just go swap it out.

How does Apple usually handle this? Will they send me a new one, let me transfer data and send back the faulty one. Or do I have to send mine in first and then they repair it?

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

You should be able to have it replaced without any issues where you've only had the computer for a few days.

As for returning the defective computer, I haven't had to do it myself but from what I've read in various posts on these forums and other websites you'd drop it off at a UPS facility with the information that Apple gives you when you contact them to return/exchange it, then they'd authorize a replacement system to be sent out. I may be wrong on this though so I'd recommend getting clarification prior to going through with it.

Hope that helps, have a great day.

3. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

looks like it may just be a subpixel. Against a red and blue back round it looks fine. Against white it looks black. Is there any hope resurrecting this thing?

4. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

There are a few applications and websites available that try to bring a stuck pixel back to life by cycling through various colours very quickly. You could always give one of those a shot to see what happens.

5. Bluehinder macrumors member

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

On older screens, tapping dead pixels often got them to work again. I assume it would be the same with newer ones.

Just tap it with your finger. Worth a shot.