Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jogales

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Has anyone else had this happen? The speakers sound incredible, but I'm getting a lot of popping noises. Apple support wasn't particularly helpful and told me to reset my PRAM, which doesn't apply to Apple Silicone.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Be sure that you have disconnected all external connections. Do you still get popping?

The only kind of reset that you can do on an M1, is to shut off (from the Apple menu), then close the lid. Wait 15 or 20 seconds, then power back on (just open the lid). If the M1 detects a problem in the NVRAM during that cold boot (not a simple restart, but power off, then back on), then it should reset the VRAM during that boot. If there is no improvement in your sound, have you tried a different source - maybe playing a song through the Music app, or using some media player app, like VLC, to play an audio file.
Do you still get the popping? I would likely box it up, and return it. Purchase another.

jogales

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Be sure that you have disconnected all external connections. Do you still get popping?

The only kind of reset that you can do on an M1, is to shut off (from the Apple menu), then close the lid. Wait 15 or 20 seconds, then power back on (just open the lid). If the M1 detects a problem in the NVRAM during that cold boot (not a simple restart, but power off, then back on), then it should reset the VRAM during that boot. If there is no improvement in your sound, have you tried a different source - maybe playing a song through the Music app, or using some media player app, like VLC, to play an audio file.
Do you still get the popping? I would likely box it up, and return it. Purchase another.
No external connections, I've tried playing audio from multiple sources and still the same problem.

I bought it because I need it, and returning this one and waiting until the end of December for a new one to arrive isn't an option. It's something I can live with until Apple is able to repair it, I'm just curious if this is a one off thing or more widespread.

sspenc003

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
I have the same issue on my new 16" as well. I will most likely return it for a new one. Really hoping it is just a one off hardware problem because otherwise the computer has been amazing!

Reactions: Fatmac'84

nightoftune

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2021
did you guys get this on every app? I also get this from time to time on other devices. Also on my inears. It could very well be software related and a bug but its also possible that its hardware. If someone get a new one, installed hes backup and the problem is gone, i would say its hardware.

xawill

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2021
Suisse
Every app, every user account, every type of music, constantly. Killing coreaudio (sudo killall coreaudiod) makes it even worse (louder) for ~25 seconds and then it is back to previous state.

I didn't restore my backup. I clean installed my new Mac. So most likely not software related, indeed... But Apple Store will most likely require that I give them my Mac before they even order the new one. And the delay is currently December 14th. More than one month without computer...

Reactions: JonathanParker

pwign

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
Same problem on my 16". Speaker would crackle/pop randomly when any audio is playing.

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
yeah there is a fix which is temporary as of now, open up QuickTime player and open up a new audio recording, don't do anything else just minimize that tab and use it as the way you normally do, the popping sound isn't heard. Hopefully apple will address it and fix it

Reactions: Cape Dave

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
Only happened to me for a split second in the last 10 days.

It was more common on the 2018 MBP but that got fixed in Big Sur.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
I have the same issue on my new 16" as well. I will most likely return it for a new one. Really hoping it is just a one off hardware problem because otherwise the computer has been amazing!
It's a software fixable problem. Returning your computer is a waste of time and hurts someone else's purchase.

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
If you have Logic Pro change the audio buffer down to 64 and bang on some chords with the alchemy default patch. Thats the easiest way I’ve found to reproduce it. Normal use doesn’t happen.

Reactions: aizarged

schtink

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2021
Is everyone who is having this issue also using Rosetta? I've noticed on my 16" M1 Pro that even if a single Intel program is open that it can cause popping issues in the sound, no matter what app the sound is coming from. The problem is exceptionally worse if I am running specific Intel games or programs. If I am using the Music app and try to compile a game in Unity at the same time, the popping sounds are horrible. I could be totally wrong on this, but all signs are pointing to Rosetta and Intel based apps for me.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
Is everyone who is having this issue also using Rosetta? I've noticed on my 16" M1 Pro that even if a single Intel program is open that it can cause popping issues in the sound, no matter what app the sound is coming from. The problem is exceptionally worse if I am running specific Intel games or programs. If I am using the Music app and try to compile a game in Unity at the same time, the popping sounds are horrible. I could be totally wrong on this, but all signs are pointing to Rosetta and Intel based apps for me.

Tried a bunch of Rosetta games, Steam, etc. Sound was perfect.

I only had one cackle sound in the first 24 hours in Apple Music and after a week no issues anywhere.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I actually came on to the forums to search for exactly this. Didn't have any issues in the first week on my 16" M1 Max (I've been on 12.0.1 since I got it). All of the sudden, today I am watching YouTube via safari and I have random sound pops. Then just now I got more while listening to Apple Music. I hope there is some sort of fix or solution to this. I really don't want to have to return the machine and wait for a new one to arrive.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Same issue here. I didn't have it on my 16" Pro Max which I returned, but I've had it a few times on my 16" Pro. Doesn't make any difference if its docked or not.

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
I actually came on to the forums to search for exactly this. Didn't have any issues in the first week on my 16" M1 Max (I've been on 12.0.1 since I got it). All of the sudden, today I am watching YouTube via safari and I have random sound pops. Then just now I got more while listening to Apple Music. I hope there is some sort of fix or solution to this. I really don't want to have to return the machine and wait for a new one to arrive.
Did you try the suggestion which was posted above?

Abhay Bobby
"yeah there is a fix which is temporary as of now, open up QuickTime player and open up a new audio recording, don't do anything else just minimize that tab and use it as the way you normally do, the popping sound isn't heard. Hopefully apple will address it and fix it"

Jadedogsome

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
Interesting. I, on the other hand, have a speaker issue as well, but mine is different. At lower volumes, 1-2 clicks of volume, when playing anything (on chrome, spotify, apple music, safari etc), it will make this weird hard-drive esc noise. Not sure how well you can pick it up in the video but its noticeable in a quiet room, and I've tried everything above, hopefully this and your issues are fixed.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Did you try the suggestion which was posted above?

Abhay Bobby
"yeah there is a fix which is temporary as of now, open up QuickTime player and open up a new audio recording, don't do anything else just minimize that tab and use it as the way you normally do, the popping sound isn't heard. Hopefully apple will address it and fix it"
I appreciate the response. So I did take a moment to try this out just now and I am still getting the popping sound when using Apple Music unfortunately. this doesn't seem to have fixed the problem for me.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Try to disable in apple music sound enhance. Or change to 48khz in case you have 96khz in audio HW output

digitalprty

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I have this same issue. I’m glad it’s not just me, but now I’m worried that it might be endemic. I hope it’s not too widespread and that there’s a concrete fix. I’m not at my computer now, but I’ll check the other suggestions when I get a chance.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
The speakers on my 16" don't pop (at least not yet), but I have noticed that the bass is amped up a bit too much. While these speakers are more powerful than the speakers in my previous 16" Intel MBP, the amped up bass muddies some of the sound it outputs at times (with certain songs crossing many genres) making the speakers in 16" Intel MBP sound slightly more clear (at times).

It's hard to explain, really. I don't see Apple giving us the option to change sound EQ output OS wide, but each individual app may have EQ options. In the Apple Music app, I always use the 'Electronic' preset in the equalizer which reduces mids (where they're supposed to be, IMO), and amps up some treble, which will always compliment bass heavy outputs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.