New 17" MacBook Pros: Major display issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2contagious, Apr 19, 2010.

1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hi,

I have already posted in several threads about some of the models I had exchanged, but I am now on my 4th MacBook Pro (i7 17" Anti-Glare) and it STILL isn't perfect.

Bought last Wednesday:
    Massive backlight issue, which was especially noticeable while viewing a black image / background / dark movie / movie credits. Two big stripes in the middle being more lit up than the rest of the screen. (side note: there was also dirt on the macbook pro and scratches on the top part of the case)

Replacement 1, last Saturday:
    Mildly bad yellow tinge issue. Blue-ish tint at the top, yellow-ish at the bottom.

Replacement 2, last Sunday:
    Even worse (really quite bad) yellow tinge issue and 1 dead pixel.

Replacement 3, today (Monday)
    Less yellow tinge than Replacement 1 (pretty much acceptable), but it has 1 stuck pixel (side note: the body has scratches)

I am not sure what to do.. but it seems that either there's something wrong with A LOT of MacBook Pro screens or I am just being VERY unlucky..

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Do you keep bringing it back to a retail store? I ask because the staff at my local store wouldn't nearly be as accommodating.

3. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Yes, it's an official Apple Store. The one in Regent Street, London (UK). You have 2 weeks to get replacements or get a refund (usually they only do 3 replacements and then give you a refund if you don't want to keep it). Also, if you do get a refund, there's no restocking fee (restocking fees don't exist at Apple Stores in the UK). Is the store you go to an Apple Store or an authorised reseller/premium reseller?

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

No it's an Apple retail store. A few years ago I had a MacBook with a real bad screen. I brought it in 3 days after I got it, from that store, and had to argue with the manager for an hour before they would exchange it without a restocking fee. It really turned me off about Apple's retail stores.

That's great that there's no such thing as restocking fees in the UK Apple stores. It's really annoying to deal with here in the states. Good luck with your computer.

5. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I returned my 17" i5 and got the 17" i7 anti-glare instead. The screen is perfect. No dead/stuck pixels, no tint issues to my eyes, and no backlight issues. Very nice.

Either you deal with a potential restocking fee (most of the time they are waived; I have NEVER paid a restocking fee) or you pay the higher price that the folks across the pond have to pay. I think I'll stick with the restocking fee.

6. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

So after 4 crap screens, I got a refund. I don't know what I should do now. I really need a new MacBook Pro for my work and I can't try and see if I have any luck with a 15" anti-glare because they're not available in store yet in London (due to the stupid volcano ash :()

7. Z1NX macrumors member

Wait, is that the reason they don't have any high-res/anti-glare 15"s in London?
    Been looking and calling everywhere :( Think i'm going to go in on Wednesday and buy the standard-res 15" - should be good enough.

8. vbman213 macrumors 6502

I've always had amazing customer service. I have not yet ordered my 15" i7, but I did have a very similar experience with a 3g iPod Touch.

1) Purchased at a Apple Retail Store. Serious backlight bleed issues. Two very large "white" spots on screen...

I was traveling at the time, so returning to that store would cost me a full days drive.

2) My replacement was overnighted to my house within 24 hours of calling Apple Care. They shipped me a brand new iPod before the defective one was even in FedEx's possession.

3) Repeat #2, until I got a working one. They were very supportive and did not ask any questions.

I'm not surprised that they allowed you to replace it numerous times. You spent $2300 bucks on the device, they should be treating you like royalty.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Can you please upload some photos to show me?
    Becuase I'm going to get one~

Cheers

10. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Sorry, I have already asked for a refund. I'm going to wait until the money is back on my account and will see if the 15" HiRes with Anti Glare is a better option.. maybe they have less screen problems. I am pretty sure that there are a lot of good 17" screens out there though.. I was very very unlucky :( Maybe the store I went to has a bad batch of 17" models...

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

The Bentall Centre in London has i7 15" hi res anti glare in stock. I was very tempted to buy yesterday and will end up doing so if my order does not arrive soon.

12. gcortega macrumors member

I bought the 15" i5 with the high-res screen and it has the same exact problem. Horizontal yellow tinge on the bottom third of the computer. I think I'm going to send mine back I'm just scared I'm going to get stuck with an even worse one.

13. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Sad... I though is only 17-inch having issues~
    Just return until you're happy with it :D

14. cryer macrumors regular

Wow.... your experience is seriously scaring the **** out of me. I have a screen that I think has a very slight yellow tinge at the bottom, or at least the brightness is a little bit brighter at the bottom portion, leaving the bottom blue line blending in with the white background in a finder window list view.

I think I was able to tell using this image here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9906152&postcount=159

I also went into two different Apple retail stores to compare side by side and I think mine has more of a yellowness in comparison at that bottom center portion of the screen. I even asked some employees and about 40% of them noticed the yellow, while the others seemed not to care or just said they didn't know/couldn't tell.

Since I'm within my 14 days still, I can swap it out but... man, I'd hate to go through one after the other. I already went through that process with an iMac and ultimately returned it in favor of buying this new MBP 17" i5.

So my dilemma is keep it while knowing there's a very very slight yellow tint at the bottom center portion, or replace it and possibly go through a multi-return process that I had already gone through with a different machine! Any suggestions?

Here are a few photos, although not sure if it's good enough to tell:

In my bedroom, where I'd be using it mostly. This is with default calibration:
    http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/16/photo1ls.jpg

Brought this to my office, not my usual place I'd be using it though. Also this is with a different calibration:
    http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8775/photo2eg.jpg

I think that after calibration, it may look slightly better and also my office lights are better so maybe that contributes. But either way, if there is any hint of yellow as a defect, it should appear in either picture no matter what, right?

15. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I recommend buying the last generation of MBP 2.8 version. They are listed in the Apple Store under clearance.