New 17" MBP carry case ?... Crumpler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Feb 16, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I've ordered my Unibody 17" MBP and I would like a case before it arrives ( plenty of time to look for one then :p )

I will more than likely be taking it to University when I go in September, so it needs to be a shoulder bag not just a sleeve. I've been looking around and I really like the crumpler range, they seem to be well built and they are visually appealing unlike most 17" carry cases.

Can anyone reccomend a good strong carry case or which ones have you ordered or had experience with... I don't want to spend any more money than I have to on a bag that I've never had experience with before, it needs to look like a regular bag too with a little extra room for a book.

Oh, I'm a student ( obv. ) so I can't afford to pay loads for one, but I do like quality products that last.

NStocks

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I've been using a Crumpler Gimp inside a Crumpler Team Player backpack for the last 3 years. I can't praise them enough. The size difference between the new and old 17" designs is so small that I doubt Crumpler will need to make a new model.

For my impending 17", I've ordered (and received) a Crumpler Le Royale and I'll continue to use the same backpack.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

That's good to know that they are actually good bags then. I thought about getting a backpack, but now that I use a shoulder bag I can't imagine going back as it's more convenient ( in most cases )

For now, I use a incase neoprene sleve for my 15" MBP unibody but that will be getting sold on ebay for obvious reasons.

Also saw this on Apple site: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TL998ZM/A?n=17_inch_macbook_pro&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=Mjk5ODEyNA&s=topSellers

It has the price advantage but it's not really that spacious... and good looking

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

To be honest, that's a bit to "officey" for university life, and I don't just mean the look. You'll be needing to cart a few books with you most of the time and some of them can be large! If you're dead-set against a backpack, then a messenger bag is probably your best bet.

Good ones aren't cheap though...

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

Waterfield has a custom fit sleeve with shoulder strap (if you want)
    for the 17 unibody.

Supposedly they are very nice, but i've never owned one.

(maybe I will this time)